when Paintings go wrong

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
At the weekend I tried to paint a picture of a Parrot. There have been some great attempts in the gallery and another art Facebook group im connected with.  SO I found a great Image I could do and I had my first attempt. Needles to say it ended up looking like an angry colourful crow, or the dick emery skin head character, so I painted red braces on it. I then had another attempt which is still not perfect but more like I had imagined how it would turn out. I have attached both attempt. I wonder have you ever had a painting go wrong like this.
Often!  Mind you, my late uncle and aunt managed a vivarium/aquarium on Weston-Super-Mare seafront, and they had a macaw outside, when it was warm, inviting the visitors in.  And when Welsh schoolboys came over and tried teasing him, he looked a lot like your first picture, but minus the braces.  My aunt came out to tell 'em off, and they went inside, and then started mocking the boa constrictor - saying he was dead.   My aunt lifted the lid on his tank, pulled him out, and the cooler air woke him right up: "Still think he's dead, do you?", she said; "Don't be silly, Mrs!" terrified little horrors chorused, as Bertie the boa took a keen interest in them.  All part of the learning process - paintings that go wrong, irritated macaws, and beaming boas........
Yes paintings go wrong........  They don’t all get fixed either.
Yep, they can go wrong in a flash. Good thing about oils is you’ve got a chance of pulling them back...more difficult with watercolour IMO.
Occasionally but rarely! Whatever medium I’m using I can generally sort out any issues before they becomes terminal...that includes watercolour, but of course oils don’t pose any problem whatsoever! If I do have a disaster, it’s generally down to bad or inadequate planning in the early stages, often poor composition /tonal balance in the main and is probably a good time to take a break from painting for a while. But it’s only a piece of paper, canvas or board, it just doesn’t matter and is all part of painting.
Oh yes....I paint over them, and if all else fails they end up in the bin. 
I did grapes that looked like frosted marbles/brussels sprouts. The second time I did them, I leaned from my mistakes. They actually looked like grapes.
Good points from Alan - if something goes wrong, more than half the time it's because the basic drawing was wrong, and you're having to reconstruct the picture as you go along: never easy.  Watercolour IS more difficult to repair - depending on what's gone wrong - but I saw a demo by a well-known watercolourist (translation: I've entirely forgotten who he was) in which he took a watercolour (which by the way looked fine to me) and basically washed it off, or large parts of it off, and reinstated it to a state that pleased him more.  I'd have been happy with either....   You'd need a good quality paper to do that, though - some of the stuff I've used in the past would have disintegrated.  
Yes I have put a watercolour under the hot tap before now. But have been using a magic sponge for a few years they are sold individually in some art shops or you can get a box full at the £1 shop. They don't damage the paper.
Shopping list - gin; tonic; lemon and lime; magic sponge.....
If all else fails after G& T and magic sponge .  Leave till Christmas time ,add some glitz , cut into short strips, punch hole in top add ribbon and heyho you have your Chrissy labels .  Finish off the Gin. 
Showing page 1 of 2