Studio, Studio + or Not?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 5
Absolutely Christine, I’m paying 40% + VAT on one of my online website galleries, which is a huge chunk by anyone’s standards.
What do you find the best all round online gallery for selling your work Alan?
My only representation at present is a local gallery Tessa, but there are so many online sites to choose from. Without doubt Artfinder sold a lot of my oils, mainly to the States etc, a few UK buyers also. They do ask for samples of your work before being accepted so joining takes a while. I’ve tried several more sites ArtRehome being another but that didn’t work for me.
Thanks Alan. I shall do some research. I’m guessing that a local physical gallery is probably a good option, if you can find one! I’ve just bought the Artist’s Handbook by Mark David Hatwood so hopefully that will give me some pointers.
Yes it’s far less hassle if you have a local gallery. I’ve never found it particularly easy though, I’ve been rejected by numerous ones over the years. They all have their own group of dedicated artists quite often, and aren’t interested in new artists, space is often a factor I suspect - their loss!
Indeed!
Tessa and Alan i'm selling on Etsy.com.uk but its mostly my small wildlife paintings. I will never make big bucks,lol but its better than having lots of paintings hanging around and if someone wants a little bit of original art then that's lovely if they choose one of my paintings. I have also just joined Art Gallery uk with some of my larger pieces of work but as yet have to see how that works. Their commission is 35%. Tessa I hope this helps. Linda

Edited
by Linda Drury

I also used to run with ArtGalleryUK but the commission is quite hefty and during my period with it I couldn't command a high enough price to handle the commission....I probably could now, but I don't care for the way the thing is run. Linda, I agree it's not good to have loads of unsold paintings around the house;  I've toyed several times with the idea of Etsy since small works do seem to go well there....but I noted that you have to sign up for their own payment system and cannot use Paypal to receive your earnings...I'm assuming that's still the case. A year or so back there was also some big dispute over VAT on overseas buyers' acquisitions, so I left it well alone. In fact, I don't think Britain has all that many online galleries to offer.  Not much in the way of local galleries for me; must admit I prefer the online process.
Many thanks Linda and Christine. I will have a look at Etsy etc.. I’m part of a group of six artists formed earlier this year to exhibit around our area, and we are constantly looking for suitable exhibition venues, but that’s not easy either! It seems online is the most popular way to go at present, and you don’t have the hassle of setting up exhibitions, but nor do you get the interaction when meeting your viewers!
Very interested to read people’s comments about selling in local galleries and the commission they take. In order to make any kind of a profit I recently tried having prints made of certain drawings. I reasoned (with myself) that I could have just one A4 print made and then the rest of the edition according to demand. It seemed like a good plan… The printing cost + VAT + framing + the £8 gallery entry fee (whether it was hung or not), came to a total of £66. (Not including art materials or time spent working on it). IF the work sold the gallery in question would take another 40%. So, in order to simply break even and work for NOTHING I would have to sell that A4 print for £108. If I sold it for £150 I would get a small reward of just £24, whilst gallery took £66, well over double my take. In my opinion that’s a situation which cannot be justified.
Absolutely agree Ian, I’ve looked into it myself and frankly it’s simply too expensive, the figures don’t justify going down the print route for me either. And not forgetting that the public aren’t particularly (in my experience), all that keen on prints by ‘comparatively’ unknown artists, and this will often determine the selling price. It’s difficult enough to sell an original let alone a print!
I can endorse your thoughts on prints having been steered down that route some years ago only to find it was not economic due to the gallery charges on top of the print costs. I also believe it is more difficult to sell prints than originals. 
Showing page 3 of 5