Some thoughts about competitions.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
It's interesting that most of us seem to dislike the notion of competitions, even those who enter them.  I think it's the thought that somebody is deciding what's good and what's not.  As Robert said, the idea that art is a competition is repellant.  Some people can have great experiences, as with Helen.  It's the nature of the beast that most won't.  Linda was wondering what I considered my best work...   Can any of us make that choice about our work?  I think not.   Sylvia's 'what side you got out of bed that day' would come into play making such a choice.   And if I were able to choose my best work, would I want to submit it to the indignity of competition? I suppose they are a necessary evil (evil a little too strong), they provide a means by which an art exhibition is put on. I like art exhibitions, so I can't have it both ways. Drawing has always been part of my long life, for most of that time only family and friends saw my work.  Not a problem for me...the doing was the important bit.  Then I discovered POL, and more like-minded people see my work, and I theirs. That's just dandy.
I think what would be a great idea, my great ideas usually never pan out. You know some newspapers often have a cartoon and an amusing caption beneath, well it would be ideal if the magazine kept just a small spot for such a thing, for the artists on POL, with the theme being based on art obviously, with it being an art mag.
A good idea, Denise.  I'm biased, of course.  But I guess they already have that option if they see something they like.  There has been lots of stuff about art, usually taking the mickey out the more outrageous modern art, but none of it made it to the magazines. 
Lewis, your work makes me smile and occasionally I laugh out loud. Sometimes they remind me of the ‘saucy postcards’ back in the day, perhaps not politically correct now!  I did win an award this year, but wasn’t aware it was being judged! As some of you probably know, I’m an exhibiting member of the Nottingham Society of Artists. During the Spring Exhibition, outside judges visited the gallery on behalf of a trust award for art, but we the exhibitors never know which exhibition they will turn up to! I was really surprised when I found out I was one of the winners chosen. I suppose it keeps us all on our toes. 
I guess an exhibition or a competition can provide an impetus to turn out a finished product. Sometimes a deadline can be a good thing.  As for being judged , I’m lucky that I have no plans to make a living from painting so I’m quite relaxed about it, and welcome feedback good or bad as a means of improving. However if I were to attempt to sell my stuff, or work professionally in the art world I can imagine rejection could be a bitter pill. 

Edited
by Andrew Roles

That sounds an odd arrangement, Ellen.  I've glad it worked out well for you.  Yes Andrew, I suppose sometimes a competition can provide a spur to get going.  I guess I'm too long in the tooth to bother these days, but I still like to draw.  It's not so much the judging that bothers me, everyone who looks at your work is making some kind of judgement.  Here on POL, if they like it they'll make some kind of comment. I watched the BBC's latest Royal Academy programme.  Things don't seem to have changed much.  The artists whose work got through the selection committee showed great delight in being accepted and seeing their work hanging on the RA walls.  And why not? If you want to see your work hanging on an exhibition wall, you have to go through the process.  This old codger can't be bothered. The current president of the RA made an interesting comment...on being told the exhibition seemed very different this year, she said well that's down to the selection committee.  They are choosing what they like...what else can the do...another committee would choose something else.  Which confirms what we all know...it's a lottery.
Well I don't know about long in the tooth Lewis, Captain Kirk, I mean, William Shatner is going into space this month on the second launch of Blue Origin at age 90. Of course we all slow down but age can become a barrier without us even knowing. Imagine going into space at 90, I don't think I'm that brave or maybe that stupid but I hope I would still enter the odd competition.
Take no notice of me, Denise.  Most people like competitions. This was just me voicing my opinion.  As I said earlier, if I had the ability to delete the topic (as we used to), I would have deleted it soon after posting it.  What does it matter to anyone else that I don't like completions?   Thanks to everybody for sharing your views.
Things are getting bad...'completions??'  I can't even spell competition.  Where's the spell-checker when you want it?

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported!
Showing page 2 of 2