Open competitions

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Forget the ‘oldies’, Sylvia. I think us oldies still have a lot to offer! No it’s not “sour grapes”,  I too get disillusioned as I mentioned in my previous post, I do feel sometimes I’m swimming against the tide with what I paint. But I won’t be beaten, I think you have to be true to yourself. 
I went to my lovely Granddaughters final students show at Leeds Uni last year ( as any one here who has read Sams Tale will know )  . Granny boasting she got a first class honours…i digress . It was so beyond my ken and to me virtually nothing to do with art as i know it.  I also know her work and this wasnt it. A different world.  
How wonderful, Sylvia. No wonder you’re so proud. I too was a proud Nana this Christmas when Lily showed me her sketchbook and her first results for her advanced BTEC……honours on every aspect! Her work was mind blowing for someone who’s 17. Like your granddaughter Lily’s work looked nothing like we’re used to looking at. However, they keep us young and on our toes. 
I tell myself it’s all in the genes Ellen.   Is Lily going to go to Uni.? 
My granddaughter Anna spent hours doing craft work with Jean my better half and art work with me, did art at college then out of the blue at the beginning of the first shutdown she joined the Royal Navy..next Wednesday she sets sail on the new 'Prince of Wales' aircraft carrier as a fully qualified chef.  How things can change..
Sylvia, Lily will do a foundation course at college, which is more extensive, as you probably know. Then college will advise her on the different universities best suited to her needs. She does want to go to university, she’s been looking at different ones already, although it’s a way off yet. Which one did your granddaughter go to? 
She went to Leeds, Ellen.  Funnily enough this popped up as a memory. It reverts back to the origin of this thread.   It was,  I think a  LP. Competition.    This was the page of winners.  I made my beautiful Lenny look about ninety  and I had wrestle the black marker out of her grasp, the wrinkles were going on thick and fast I made her paint them out…lol. Considering the beautiful work she is capable of now I was not impressed by my portrait and as I said I made her look about ninety.  The judges must have been very kind or blind. 
Ian Sidaway shares some top advice for entering open art competitions here https://www.painters-online.co.uk/tips-techniques/advice/articles/advice-on-submitting-to-open-art-competitions-and-exhibitions/ Worth a read!
Re article from Ian Sidaway about entering competitions……it was helpful advice. I also took on board looking at the judges, I’m sure subjectivity does creep in. Sylvia, that portrait looks good. When Lily did mine for my birthday present last year…..it was like looking in the mirror. All the lines in my face were expertly done…..😁
I stood over my miscreant and ORDERED her to eliminate them.
Showing page 2 of 2