Pencil portrait of Eleanor (free-hand drawing)

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Works for me Sylvia ..my granddaughter as girl with the pearl earring..
That’s rather good Bari and gave me a smile. Re starting a portrait.....I often start with the angle of the eyes which leads me to the angle of the nose etc and in turn, the angle of the head. I also “ cut in” to the edge of the face. It works for me. I constantly readjust as I go, measuring with my eye. I don’t use a “ formula” , I may have tried in the past to divide up the face but not now, that can produce a rigid effect. And ,as with any other sketch or painting, I work on the whole, rather than completing one bit before I go on to the next. This is what I feel comfortable with.

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Angela, you are getting conflicting advice poor you.    Do what you are comfortable with ,the more you do the more you find your own responses.  To really stretch yourself sit in front of a live model , look, think, look .eventually draw.  .  If no one will sit for you,  sit in front  a mirror and look at yourself. .  I’m afraid I’m not a fan of grids or other peoples  photographs . Baris portrait of his g daughter is a bit of fun , I have a small dog with big eyes and I have a blue scarf I keep threatening myself to do a similar painting.   Artwork is about enjoyment. 
I’m not a fan of working from photos either, and in particular the constant procession of pop idols, and so called celebs and the like that we see on the gallery.  What’s the point? If you want portrait drawing practice sit in front of a mirror as Sylvia has said.  Grids are fine for transferring and enlarging smaller sketches onto say a larger canvas, but for portraits, a grid means you having to work from a photo.
I used to use the classic oval with lines across for eye and mouth and down for nose. I’ve also used a grid as a guide and - shame on me - traced (I still do). I suppose what I’m saying, Angela, is that you’ll find your way in time - do it the way that works for you, take advice if you want to and build on it. Don’t discount a method that suits you because ‘it’s not the right way to do it.’ 👍
Good reply Ant .
Showing page 2 of 2