paper advice

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi,     I'm just looking at upgrading from my A4 box easel to something larger.  The course I'm following uses an American paper size that seems to be roughly similar to A2, but I'm thinking maybe I can cope with A3 for now.  I'm planning to order an A3 Drawing Board - ideally one with some nifty built-in rulers - and some A3 paper.  Can anyone advise on what sort've paper is best for what I'm doing - which is line drawings with graphite pencil atm.  I'm currently using a pad that I picked up from HobbyCraft (when it was open) which is 250g/m2.  Is that still the same sort've texture to aim for?  I quite like the texture it gives the final picture, but I've no idea if it's the right thing or not.   Thanks, Simon
The weight of paper has no bearing on the surface or tooth of a paper, this surface varies between manufacturers paper moulds and specifications. A good quality and weight of cartridge paper is ideal for graphite pencil drawing - don’t go any harder than a 2B would be my recommendation here. It’s important to have some ‘tooth’ to the surface, all or most cartridge papers will have this, it’s trial and error to find the most suitable one for your style of work, although I’ve found they’re all pretty user friendly - the rough tooth is more suited for charcoal drawing in the main! Footnote: Jackson’s Art have a paper guide booklet which is really helpful, mine was free with an offer in The Artist, but it may be worth getting a copy. It covers absolutely all the different papers that are available.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Was this of any help Simon? It’s always good to get the posters feedback.
Hi Simon ...is Painter really your name ?  Good advice from Alan especially re the pencil hard / soft.  I often use really really  soft pencils for beautiful shadows...like 9b.  If you are buying a new drawing board why not go for an A1 size that will fit all your papers.  I actually like news print for quick try out ideas it also is great for charcoal .  
The weight of paper has no bearing on the surface or tooth of a paper, this surface varies between manufacturers paper moulds and specifications. A good quality and weight of cartridge paper is ideal for graphite pencil drawing - don’t go any harder than a 2B would be my recommendation here. It’s important to have some ‘tooth’ to the surface, all or most cartridge papers will have this, it’s trial and error to find the most suitable one for your style of work, although I’ve found they’re all pretty user friendly - the rough tooth is more suited for charcoal drawing in the main! Footnote: Jackson’s Art have a paper guide booklet which is really helpful, mine was free with an offer in The Artist, but it may be worth getting a copy. It covers absolutely all the different papers that are available.
Alan Bickley on 26/02/2021 17:49:43
Thanks.  I'm having a look for some cartridge paper on Jackson's right now.
Was this of any help Simon? It’s always good to get the posters feedback.
Alan Bickley on 28/02/2021 12:54:28
yes.  Sorry for being late replying.  Been busy for a few days.
Hi Simon ...is Painter really your name ?  Good advice from Alan especially re the pencil hard / soft.  I often use really really  soft pencils for beautiful shadows...like 9b.  If you are buying a new drawing board why not go for an A1 size that will fit all your papers.  I actually like news print for quick try out ideas it also is great for charcoal .  
Sylvia Evans on 28/02/2021 22:08:58
Hi.  Yes, Painter is really my name.  It's entirely ironic - in that no-one in my family paints, or ever has, so far as I'm aware.   Weirdly, a few people in my Mum's family did oil painting.  They didn't have the same surname as me, though! I've switched up to an A2 board that I found on eBay.  I might well end up with an A1 board some day, but I'm hoping i can keep to a more portable set-up for now.  I like to alternate between sitting upstairs while my kids settle, and downstairs with my wife, once they have. I've not tried anything as dark as 9B or charcoal yet, but it's something I'd like to try out one day.  I've just got so much to learn...