How To Start Figure Drawing

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've added a new video to the 'Community Videos' page

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

I keep meaning to look at this video, and your other one, on painting a self-portrait, and keep putting it off - wish I knew why!  I think it may be because it holds the threat of serious work, and I am all too ready these days to sink into my realm of cosy comfort.  But - I shall fight this regressive trend in myself!  I just didn't want you to think you've put this online for us and no one gives a damn - because I do. 
I've watched both of them, they are excellent Robert.
Short and sweet.  Very good.  My life drawing teacher taught me a very good lesson back in 1966, which I have never forgotten and is particularly useful for complicated poses.  He said relate the nipples to the belly button to the pubic bone.  If you get those 4 points in the right place, then the rest of the body will fall into place.  (It's no good for the back though.)
Sorry Linda...that made me laugh... re no good for the back...lol. I was taught that the head is one eighth the height of the body keeping this in mind you should get your height correct. Well in theory anyhow.  Hence the holding at length a pencil and squinting.
It made me giggle also because, I've never been taught anything to do with art so I'm still figuring out how you would do accurate back proportions. I guess proportions and hope for the best. That's not the best way, I know. I'm trying to learn.

Edited
by Painful Painter

There's a heap of stuff out there to get you up and running drawing figures. Love Life Drawing (Youtube and Vimeo) and Croquis Cafe (Vimeo only) both provide a heap, and Stan Prokopenko (Proko on Youtube) does a load of stuff on anatomy. Youtube is really s**tty about nudity so more material is moving to Vimeo.
I keep meaning to look at this video, and your other one, on painting a self-portrait, and keep putting it off - wish I knew why!  I think it may be because it holds the threat of serious work, and I am all too ready these days to sink into my realm of cosy comfort.  But - I shall fight this regressive trend in myself!  I just didn't want you to think you've put this online for us and no one gives a damn - because I do. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 13/12/2020 12:53:49
Ha - I did wonder if there was anyone out there Robert!

Edited
by David Stead