Charles Bargue Drawing course

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 8 of 10
Hugely impressive work, David. Great to watch your progress.
Plate 59 "Amazone du Vatican" And so concludes the first section of the course. This was rewarding and enjoyable for the most part though it has definitely distracted me from art (these being academic and technical drawing exercises developing skill rather than producing my own creativity) The next stage of the course seems to be rather more basic line drawings of figures in various poses, I am not sure I will pursue those with the same intensity I did this first section but will probably sketch from them by eye in a more instinctual manner. After having completed this first section I feel like I have proven to myself that I can actually draw reasonably well without using grids and I should be moving to drawing from life... which given my preference of subjects may offer another set of challenges....
David - superb. You have demonstrated your observational skills, and surely can only progress from here; your technique is excellent and you really should not bargain, as it were, one skill against another - no, the compositions were not yours, but you have learned hugely from them through rigid and commendable self-discipline. This can only benefit you. Take time to think about what you have learned - so much that we do benefits from study in reflection. You're an intelligent man - you can do this, and I'm sure you will. Now, this is not glutinous praise: for Heaven's sake, I don't know you nor am I committed to your cause beyond sympathizing instinctively with your creative urge: but I'm sure you have huge latent ability and I'm genuinely interested in seeing where you take it from here. I look forward to seeing where you go - you've got talent, you've got application and self-discipline - drive - energy - well, for Heaven's sake, how can you go wrong? (Yes, of course you can! But don't: keep going as you've been going, and don't let anyone put you off.)
I think you have done very well David. Im impressed anyway. What now?? D
Hello! I'm new here. Is the Charles Bargue drawing course good for a digital drawer? I just bought a drawing tablet (second one here) and i'm looking for a really good course.

Edited
by Kate Bishop

Depends what you want to do with your tablet. Why not soak up the free resources on Youtube until you get your head around what it is you want to create. I'm using mine for a cartoon-drawing course with Dreamtale (they put artists into Disney, Pixar and Marvel amongst other things) and a tablet or drawing monitor is essential for that. There is still a very steep learning curve with the software (so do that before you spend money on courses) and the image appearing somewhere other than where your hand is placed is a bit surreal. I couldn't afford one of those sexy Cintiq monitors at the time so I got a little Wacom tablet. Next time though...

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported but this halfwit needs removing from the system!
I was going to start a new thread, David, then I saw your post. I'm just finishing up an 8 week drawing course with CityLit and the tutor is a Barque afficionado. So I recognise the pieces you have completed with excellence. Although my course is a whistle stop tour I can see how useful it is for training one's observational skills. I wont forget one of the first examples we did of a pair of lips, where we drew only abstract shapes of shadows, then after 30 minutes, the lips emerged. Fascinating. Tutor recommended Generals charcoal pencils and Ingres paper. But I just used my own pencils.  He made a lot of use of blending stumps. I really admire your work and tenacity with the method.
Hi my name is Gareth from New Zealand. I have also done the entire bargue so here are a few of mine...

Edited
by gareth thomas

After doing Bargue I experimented with copying some other classical art...
Showing page 8 of 10