Ink

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
CJ, thanks for the extra information.  Helen, I've used my Artpen in the way you describe. I also found black writing ink washed out to a blue shade. I had a a more consistent outcome using brown ink (Parker Quink).
Since this conversation I've tried, carbon ink, with a fountain pen (medium nib) and its piston ink replacement. This is a small revolution, for me. The smooth flow took some getting used to, but well worth the doing so as it can be used on a variety of paper types. So far, no problems with the watercolour washes.
Interesting. I spotted this on Jackson's website.... https://www.jacksonsart.com/rohrer-klinger-sketchink-50ml-lotte-black Is that the sort of thing? You say 'no problems with washes', but have you needed to flush the pen frequently or at all? Jackson's say it's suitable for a fountain pen, but recommend flushing after every use. Even a fountain pen with standard, non waterproof, writing ink can dry out if not used for a while and so benefit from a flush. That's a fairly straightforward process as the dried ink still is soluble (one might need pen cleaning fluid if severe).   I wonder how a pen might be affected if something like the above (a waterproof ink) was left to dry in the pen. All of my writing fountain pens (vintage Burnham, Conway Stewart, Wyvern) are 50+ years old, so I'm reluctant to experiment!!!  Perhaps I am seeking the non existent (ie a totally fountain pen friendly, waterproof ink).  I tried the (spent!) match taped to a stick idea. No joy. The match barely held ink. Perhaps it was the wrong type of match! Or maybe the end was too cleanly cut.  I wonder if bashing the tip would help - make it more like a small brush? Keeps us busy!
The pen I'm using at the moment is a Wordsworth and Black, middle of the road when it comes to cost. The ink is Platinum carbon black. I've left it in the pen for about four days, and it still flows freely. However, I do wash my pens out when I have finished a project. I did come across a calligraphy pen I had missed (must have been left dirty for about six months) and it did come clean after about 20 minutes of cleaning including a soak with Higgins pen cleaner, this is what I use for the dip pens, also, when using acrylic inks. This cleaning is done on a regular basis even when using the same colour, a buildup soon occurs, a swill first with water then the cleaner, keeps the nibs 'tip top' I too would be reluctant to use expensive vintage pens with a waterproof ink, I think you're being wise there. I was reluctant to use the one I purchased for this use but glad I did, it will have its first flush out later today. Using a stick can be very rewarding, the marks look very spontaneous, and rustic, by a stick I mean a thin twig, Hawthorn are ideal, again that depends on the thickness of the line requied for the sketch. I do believe I've found 'my' perfect combination with the pen and ink just discovered. Happy ink drawing, painting, Colin :)  

Edited
by C Jones

Thanks CJ.  I've found the ink you mention on a well known online shopping emporium.  Plenty of favourable reviews regarding fountain pen use, as long as the nib is wiped clean. The days are a bit too dark to do much art work.  I was trying to do a coloured pencil sketch from a holiday photo. I suddenly realised I was shading some foliage in dark blue instead of dark green!!      Recovered with a yellow pencil, and perhaps more interesting for it?    Happy little accidents?!
:) Ahh, yes, those little happy accidents, they often turn out to be the best. Try to emulate them as an exhibition piece, no chance, that's the joy of it all. Thanks for taking the time to look for the items mentioned, I hope it has been of some use.
Certainly has CJ. 
I've used the Platinum Carbon Black ink in a Rotring Artpen fitted with a piston reservoir.  It behaves as hoped. Waterproof once dry, so is perfect for pen and wash.  I took the risk of leaving the ink in the pen for several days, rather than emptying and flushing immediately after use. The nib dried a little, but a dab with a damp tissue had the ink flowing again. Thanks for the recommendation CJ. 👍 A winner.
Showing page 2 of 2