Hi Folks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I’m Paul but known from my service days as Dixie. I started painting whilst recovering from a spinal injury, I got fed up of the OT asking what I wanted to do. In a monofilament frustration I said watercolour painting, thinking as I was then flat on my back and could only see with the aid of mirrors on a overhead gantry she would go away. With help a system was devised where I could put a board on my chest, and paint looking into the mirrors. I was reasonable at drawing as when I was at school in the 1950 early 60s dyslexia had not been invented, so most of my time spent doodling in my exercise books. So here I was thinking well this has backfired, but in a less polite way as you can imagine from a serviceman. Long story short I did manage to paint and this went on for several months, till the day came where I was able to sit up. When I did try painting it was a disaster, as I had not thought about it at the time but I was painting in reverse, which looked ok until I tried it by painting the correct way around. Well that was me finished with the paints. Move on ten years or so and I was now discharged from the RAF and was working in day care with people suffering from very serious mental health problems. I had the opportunity to start an art group and did so, finding out very quickly that I had somehow developed a reasonable standard, I spend two or three years teaching the clients basic watercolour skills and developing my own at same time. Due to promotion this sadly came to an end and I moved on and stopped painting again. I am now retired and a few years back my daughter ought me a very nice boxed set of watercolour, I felt I needed to use them as she was very proud of getting the for me with her first wage. Nearly at the end, I now paint regular and last year I held two workshops for National Trust volunteers whom I work with, and a basic skills workshop for the paying public, as a fund raising event that was very successful. This year plan is three workshops as fund raising events, and we hope to have a special event for more advanced painter, this will involve one of the curator staff selecting a rare item from the Disraeli collection at Hughenden Manor. Simple it will be a talk about the item the the opportunity to do a painting of it. Well thar me, I have just joined the forum, and having not done this before feel a bit nervous, hence the rambling on. I and looking forward to learning new things and having someone who can understand my passion foe watercolour/ paintings.
Well there’s an interesting ramble Dixie, I enjoyed the reading of it. Welcome to the forum. I think we are a nice bunch of art fanatics though on occasion we might bite...😉. Have you posted on the gallery ? If so ,are you under Dixie ? Or Paul .

Edited
by SylviaEvans

Welcome aboard Dixie. You have had an interesting route to art and I'm sure it was more than interesting for you. All the best with the workshops and look forward to seeing your work in the gallery.
Welcome fellow watercolourist David