Hello

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi everyone, my name is Francesco. I just joined and posted my first painting in the gallery. I am a biologist and have no formal art education, but always liked art, and I wanted to start drawing and painting at some point. At the moment I like to paint buildings and city scenes. Looking forward to being a member and meeting other people in this forum :-)
Welcome - I've seen your first painting (I painted an abandoned house too, coincidentally - they seem to have a fascination for some of us) and look forward to seeing more.
Welcome Francesco. A lot of us on POL have never had formal art training but we all enjoy various aspects of the hobby. A really good first painting for the Gallery. As Ellen has suggested, perhaps we could have a little more information about it, like medium, size etc. Join in the Forum when you have a query or solution to a problem or just anything to say - we are a friendly bunch on here. Ok, we do have a few disagreements but it makes for a lively discussion.
Welcome and yes - very few of us have any formal training - that's why there's some great work displayed in the gallery.
The only training I had was over 50 years ago, at school. I'm torn about that - on the one hand I'd have saved years of independent learning and reading and working if I'd had good training; on the other, I've seen some products of art school which make me wonder if I really missed out at all. But then, I won't know, will I? You can't say you're glad you had no training if the opportunity didn't exist for you to have it..... because you don't really know what you did miss. If challenged on this, I tend to mutter 'well, Rembrandt didn't go to art school...': but it's a bit lame, because he almost certainly did study in the studios of masters of his day. And anyway, I'm not Rembrandt...... perhaps I should choose a less illustrious forebear. Interesting (to me anyway) that the great exponent of research into artists' materials, George O'Hanlon of the Natural Pigments website, said a few days ago that he had learned at art school a few things - particularly in respect of oil mediums - which he now knows to have been extremely bad advice. Those who have a copy of Ralph Mayer's book on painting ought to take note of that, because it does contain ideas that have not held up as we've learned more: so - from Jacques Maroger, an authority of the past, to Mayer, an authority of his time, advice I gave in my little e-book still seems worth repeating.... there are many books on oil painting, some sanctified by age and reputation: but always triple-check anything you read: the things that you're liable to read in the Art bible - they ain't necessarily so.
As Francesco will discover - we do tend to go off on tangents now and then....... Part of the fun.
Welcome Francesco, just seen your painting in the gallery and it looks good. No formal training for me either, that's why I do everything the wrong way :) but who cares, I don't!!
Thank you all for the very warm welcomes!! This is actually the very first art forum I ever joined, so it is a big encouragement indeed. To answer your questions about the painting, it's on an A3 sheet of paper for acrylics (I think it was from a pad of System 3). It is painted in acrylics. I've done about 10 paintings up to now, mostly on paper, to practice. The idea was not to invest too much to begin with. But for the last 2 paintings (I'll post soon), I tried canvas board, and actually I found it easier to move the paint around, and overall a more pleasant process. I realise now that the paper was absorbing the water really fast, and I found it hard to get the paint to do what I wanted it to.
It is good that you have found a better surface for your painting Francesco - it's all part of the process. You will probably continue to experiment as you grow in confidence. Will look forward to seeing some more of your work in due course.
Yes, I don't much like any of the acrylic painting papers I've encountered so far - I'd rather use watercolour paper, or canvas/board.
Hi Francesco, I'm new too. Not sure if you'll see my post as you havent been around for a few days, but I wanted to say hi to a fellow newbie :) I like your abandoned house painting - nice bright sense of light and good use of shapes to show the forms. I hope you'll post more work soon.