Favourite DVDs

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Probably not a new topic but I've tired of seeing my post on the London Art College, four months ago, as the latest post in this part of the forum. So, here goes. I suspect most of us have a source we like to return to whether that be DVD, book or simply a favourite sketchbook whose pages provide some inspiration...and amusement. Mine is a DVD by Brian Ryder entitled 'Panting Atmospheric Oil Landscapes' which demonstrates his technique for plein air oil sketching and has an interesting section on colour mixing with a limited palette. While I don't follow the latter entirely it is thought provoking and has helped me consider how I mix colour when painting on location. I return this DVD from time to time and it never fails to entertain and inform. Perhaps more DVDs on such matters would be more helpful than simple demonstration paintings?
Indeed Peter, DVDs can be a great help. I have bought the odd book including a DVD which is much better than just reading the book and looking at the stills inside. You can return to the DVD as often as you like until you have mastered the technique or at least have learnt something. I have also collected some 200 useful online videos on various subjects which I have categorized on my blog. https://landscapeartblog.wordpress.com/video/landscapes/landscapes-01-10/
Tough choice, mine would have to be paint more by Jeff Gogue. It's a wonderful insight to his work and his technique. Tells you why he does it. what makes him tick and general philosophy of what he considers to be art. Very informative and tells you all you need to know. He paints very loosely without losing sight of what he is trying to represent in his painting, shows you how minuscule he keeps his palette of colours and use of brushes. Almost like Bob Ross in some respect, due to his constant reference to "happy mistakes". David Kassan's Painting a life comes a close 2nd.