Preparing boards for painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I think I will also get some of these boards recommended. I prefer using canvas board from the first moment I tried it.
I use Art Discounts cradled birch panels almost exclusively. I am a big fan. I normally use Jacksons own brand acrylic primer the one that comes in a pouch. I have in the past had birch ply laser cut by a firm called cut my plastic, they did a superb job, completely smooth edges no sanding needed at all. I glued canvas to the ply I really love this combination but it's expensive. 
Are Ampersand boards not readily available?   They were stocked by Jacksons, and by Ken Bromley - sizes are a bit strange, as I remember, and they ARE expensive.  Worth it for oils, but I struggled with them using acrylic - too smooth, given acrylic doesn't have the body of oil paint.  I've yet to try the Belle Arte (spelling?) panels, but fully intend to. The Seawhite boards - I've used two - are great to paint on, but I would recommend 3 to 4 coats of heavy duty primer.  
Belle Arti, so obviously Italian and that’s where they are made… a refreshing change from China!
Ta!   On my shopping list. 
We seem to have a consensus of opinion on Belle art mine are en route .  So looking forward to them. 

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

I’m sticking to the Belle Arti canvas boards from Jackson’s, a great surface and stuck to 3mm MDF which doesn’t warp and are ready primed.
Alan Bickley on 13/06/2021 13:57:34
Alan - do you have any experience regarding *Jacksonsart.com *extra smooth Belgian Linen 3mm board please? I bought some time ago them to try, but I started my Claybord experiment instead, holding these boards for plan B... Reading your Belle Arti recommendation, and other artists that appreciate these boards, I'm wonder if Jacson's made boards are any good you see ... I used to paint on *Fredrix extra smooth Belgian Linen boards few years ago, but at present is difficult to find them in stock, or they're not *extra smooth... Therefore I went for Jackson's boards, but at the time of purchase I wasn't aware of Belle Arti... Thanks.
No I’ve not tried them… I tend to go for the rougher surfaces which suits my style better! They sound interesting though!
I’ve used Belle Arti for some years now - I  use them “ for best”, the fine surface is lovely. You can also get Belle Arti gummed canvas pads which are good for “ quickies” but they are medium grain so not fine. And , like Alan, I also like gesso primed MDF which you can either sand down to a fine surface or leave brush lines showing which can make a painting very interesting.
Showing page 2 of 2