Perennial questions

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
These questions seem to be asked so often on Facebook, on the site Traditional Oil Painting owned by the US artist Virgil Elliott. And yet, they're so rarely asked on this site.   Is this because we're all so expert that we don't need to ask? The questions are:  how do I clean my brushes?  Why do my synthetic brushes curl and lose their shape?  Time and again, poor old Virgil gets asked these self-same questions, from presumably experienced painters.  Yet I don't remember the last time I saw them asked here.  From this I conclude - you all buy most of your brushes from Rosemary & Co, and take their advice on how to look after them; you know not to clean synthetic brushes with Turps or solvents; you're all quite capable of being told something once, and not needing to have it repeated a hundred times before it sinks in; if in doubt, you look for answers to these questions already given. Well, I'm impressed, anyway: and thought I should express my admiration for Painters Online devotees who don't keep coming back with the same old question.  Makes yer proud to be British, dammit!
Although I am not yet an oil painter, I do use acrylics sometimes and have just bought some new brushes from Rosemary & Co (no this is not an advert) they send a little leaflet with their brushes on their care, so sorted!
Thank goodness we don’t get asked repetitive questions like that on here, frankly it’s pure common sense! I must admit that I do tend to take more care of my brushes these days, certainly R&Co are so superbly hand made, it would be criminal not to...
Wish I could look after my brushes better.  Does anyone else have the problem that they are not allowed to use the kitchen sink to clean them!!
That will rule out the bathroom sink then Steve!  haha! 
I do not have a partner to prevent me from using the kitchen sink.  This may not be of much practical help to you, of course.  How about sneaking them into the shower with you.......?   Tell your other half that if you only use soap and water to clean your brushes (perhaps you could at least be allowed a bucket, out in the yard...) then there is no problem to speak of with painty plates or hazardous residues; particularly if you remove most of the paint from the brush first, with a kitchen towel.  Otherwise, sorry - but it's a case of find a new partner.
So far just been using lots of water in a jam jar to clean acrylic brushes and lots of low odour solvent to clean oil brushes.  But lack of proper flowing warm water and soap is meaning I'm running out of brushes in tip top condition.  Going to have to wait until she goes out shopping one day and sneak in with a batch of them - perhaps planning ahead and soaking them in proper brush cleaner the night before :-)
I asked this forum about cleaning my unkempt (acrylic) brushes, some time ago, and am happy to report that I now take much better care of my brushes!