Mask against headache

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi there, I recently got myself into painting and I started to get a headache during each session. Do you think that this can be caused by acrylic colours? I initially thought that they are non-toxic, but since I get a headache every time I paint, I am wondering if I should buy a mask. On this page, I found different respiratory protection masks and now I am not sure which one I need to use. I suppose the disposable ones are enough, although I don’t quite like the fact that I would toss them out every time I use them. The reusable respirator looks very huge though. Does anyone experience headaches, too, when you are painting with acrylic colours? Does wearing a mask help?   I would appreciate every help. Many thanks, Chris
Never heard of that Chris not with Acrylic, oils yes .   I don’t find any odour with acrylic at all . Maybe contact the manufacturer ?.  Though you mention “colour”  assume you mean you react to the colour though maybe I misunderstood. I suppose you could change medium..  
There isn’t any noticeable smell or fumes from acrylic paint. Like Sylvia, I’ve never heard of anyone else suffering from this symptom. I would suggest that you try gouache or watercolour, and see how you get on, I can’t offer any other suggestion.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

I get aches in all sorts of places because I have arthritis in the neck and lumbar spine - quite capable of giving me a headache after painting for a while - because you're holding the brush, reaching up, undergoing movements which may be unusual for you: perhaps one possibility.  Try painting for shorter sessions, having a rest, thinking about your posture when painting.  Stop and have a cup of tea while you're thinking of your next brush strokes. There is nothing in acrylic paint that should cause you a headache - but 'should' is a big word.... it's possible to be affected by almost anything.  Have you had your eyes tested recently?  Eye strain can certainly cause headache; so can getting tense because the paint's not doing what you want it to do.  
I agree with the above comments. Do you wear glasses and are they new or old, I have needed to get new one as  I was getting headaches from the glare off the paper due to eyesight problems.. Mind you I don’t use acrylics, but on the odd occasions when I have I’ve never noticed any odour. As has been suggested try gouache or watercolour if you are still having headaches, get your eyes tested.
Thank you for all your replies. I don't wear glasses, but I didn't think of that being the problem. I will get my eyes checked to make sure it's not because of that. 

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported this nonsense!