Virgil Elliott's Traditional Oil Painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Having just seen the You Tube interview with Virgil Elliott and heard his thoughts on the longevity of Lead White as compared to Zinc or Titanium White, a couple of thoughts occur to me; 1. Roughly how long does it take for Zinc White to start to break up? Personally I am quite happy if it is say 10 to 20 years as my paintings are purely for my own entertainment and I shall be long gone by the time they deteriorate. However if I was buying a painting from a professional artist I would want to be sure that it would last considerably longer. 2. Following on from that thought, I wonder whether any professional artist actually gives any indication of the longevity of the materials used in paintings being offered for sale? I suspect not.
I’ve got paintings completed much longer than 20 years ago using titanium white, no issues as yet. I’ve also got oil paintings using flake white from my college years, way back in the 60’s, still pristine, as I would expect! Many professional artists do state ‘artist’s quality paint’ was used, but renowned artist Ken Howard, who’s paintings fetch sums into the thousands, uses zinc white. I’ve got many of his books, and videos, and that’s what he states.
wow, i've been trying to learn oil painting but don't know how to start.. well this is a good book.. as for now, i am learning scribbling as i saw this website https://vincelow.com.my/ the art is so nice.. hoping to try scribbling like that huhu
Titanium White is not problematic - it makes a weaker film than lead whites, but nearly all of us use it.  Zinc White - well.... that's another issue entirely.  There is clear research linking it to delamination - ie falling off the canvas, in short - and cracking.  But then, we've long known that it's not satisfactory as a base coat, because it takes a very long time to dry thoroughly.  Its major problem is that it's mixed into other colours by the makers, particularly into Naples Yellow Hue - whether this turns out to be an issue in the long run, no one really knows for sure.  But I avoid it entirely, so far as I can.  It's particularly vulnerable to change and deterioration when used on stretched canvas - because canvas moves, and Zinc White is brittle.  There's a well-known painting (by Rosetti, I can't remember?) from the 19th century, in which it's known Zinc White was used: and it has shown no signs of deterioration; so the process isn't inevitable, although we don't know how the artist used it, or with what medium - so far as I know, anyway.  The science of oil painting is complicated, and knowledge advances - slowly - over many years: trouble is, none of us will be alive to find out exactly what happens to our paintings; we just have to make the best choices we can and exercise personal judgement.  Which is what Ken Howard will have done, but if I were him (my paintings don't sell for thousands, unfortunately!)  I'd think of changing my practice. Worth just adding that Zinc White is only a problem in oil paint - not a problem in acrylic, and of course Chinese White in watercolour is basically Zinc, and has been in use for a very long time (I hate the stuff, but that's another issue entirely!).  
Showing page 2 of 2