I've got Norman's book back!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Twenty odd years ago, I sold a job lot of books from my library - I had to move, I couldn't take them all with me - to be honest it broke my heart: but they had to go, and they made over £350, which financed my move (I bet that sum wouldn't do it now).  One of the books I sold was the late and great Norman Battershill's Painting Landscapes in Oils.  It's a lovely book - along with several others, e.g. Rowland Hilder's, I regretted its loss and wished I'd never parted with it.  Well the other day I saw it for sale on one the bookstores dealing with Amazon - I don't mind dealing with Amazon, because a portion of any money I spend with them goes to the Dogs' Trust.  So I ordered it, and it arrived today - so glad to have it back on the shelves; it's one of the most approachable and simple guides to oil painting, better than many more recent books (with all due respect to them: I think it compares well with Haidee-Jo Summers' excellent book), and if you can get a copy yourself, you should.  But you can't have mine.  

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

I will definitely have a look at this book Robert and how wonderful for a portion of your money went to the dogs trust.
Twenty odd years ago, I sold a job lot of books from my library - I had to move, I couldn't take them all with me - to be honest it broke my heart: but they had to go, and they made over £350, which financed my move (I bet that sum wouldn't do it now).  One of the books I sold was the late and great Norman Battershill's Painting Landscapes in Oils.  It's a lovely book - along with several others, e.g. Rowland Hilder's, I regretted its loss and wished I'd never parted with it. Well the other day I saw it for sale on one the bookstores dealing with Amazon - I don't mind dealing with Amazon, because a portion of any money I spend with them goes to the Dogs' Trust.  So I ordered it, and it arrived today - so glad to have it back on the shelves; it's one of the most approachable and simple guides to oil painting, better than many more recent books (with all due respect to them: I think it compares well with Haidee-Jo Summers' excellent book), and if you can get a copy yourself, you should.  But you can't have mine.  
Robert Jones, NAPA on 23/03/2021 21:53:26
No one can have my Battershill books either. Nor my Hilder volumes! Hilder was the main inspiration for me where skies are concerned, and also for my love of winter, deciduous trees. I just found out my daughter has become enamoured of painting again, so it seems there's a home awaiting most of my stuff. NB If you really want to learn how to paint skies, then Hilder is the source to visit. To a lesser extent Battershill also. Cheers John

Edited
by John Walker

Rowland Hilder was a genius - and a very self-effacing one.  His skies, as you of course know, John, were fantastic: yes, I've got to get those books back, too!
My hard back copy from eBay has just arrived! It’s an excellent book, full of colour plates featuring Norman’s exceptional oil paintings, mainly landscapes so perfect for me - a welcome addition to my extensive art library. Thanks for your recommendation Robert.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

If you can't find the books we do have a few articles by Norman Battershill here https://www.painters-online.co.uk/tips-techniques/search/?Search=battershill and Rowland Hilder too - https://www.painters-online.co.uk/tips-techniques/search/?Search=hilder Good art advice never goes out of date!
I attended a two day Rowland Hilder masterclass back in August of 1985, he only ever did two of them. It was at Blackheath college of art where he also taught part time. He also lived nearby in Blackheath. An amazing experience to meet and talk to an artist who was such an inspiration for me when I was young! He spent two full days demonstrating his techniques, he was 80 I believe at the time and he worked tirelessly the whole two days. I’m very fortunate to own one of the many excellent sketches he did during those two days. He also signed a couple of his books and several sketch books for me.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Born in 1905, as I remember, so yes - he'd have been around 80: what a great experience for you... he was well known for his generosity, with time as well as with his work.   Fascinating Battershill articles disinterred by the POL team, too!  Hilder and Battershill - two lovely, and VERY different, painters.  
I now have two copies of the Hilder book on 'Landscapes in watercolour.' The spare one is a paperback. They are fine, but not easy to open and stay flat! I don't need them both so if anyone would like the paperback, let me know via POL internal mail, and it's yours for the postage. Will have to be first come first served of course. PS. The book has now been passed on; to my daughter, who has started a watercolour course. I could hardly refuse her could I? She has also 'cadged' a couple of Bockingford blocks! Regards John

Edited
by John Walker