Favourite Art Books.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have just enjoyed “Painting Light and Shade” by Paul Millichip. I came across the book in a charity shop a few weeks ago in mint condition and a really pleasant and useful read. He has chapters on painting in the Greek Isles, Wales, Morocco, America’s east coast and Goa, and compares the difference in light in particular and how this affects his paintings which are mainly watercolour but some oils. My favourite quote from the book - “Part of the painters business is to look hard and then look even harder- successful painting lies in the art of seeing rather than manipulating paint.” My other favourite book recently is Haidee-Jo’s “Vibrant Oils” which others have mentioned here. It’s excellent, informative and again an easy read, not always the case with art books! Any others you recommend?
I gave most of my How-To books to the local Oxfam bookshop; I was tired of how everything complicated gets presented as ...... How to draw a portrait of Donald Trump - Draw Donald Trump's head - Put the features in the right place - Make it look like Donald Trump I like biogs - not the arty bollocks we see with certain Gallery contributors but properly researched life stories, and I found 200-page biogs of Raphael and Velazquez with loads of colour plates of their art as well as the biog in the same charity shop. Parragon also did a great series in the 1990s - potted biog and 50 colour images, each with some "life and times" text - I'm collecting those and have over 40 I'll stick to Youtube for How-To, methinks

Edited
by alang23

I've got lots of how to do it painting and drawing books, plus a few DVDs by artists such as Ken Howard, Pete Brown (Pete the Street) and Fred Cuming. Yet I don't look at the DVDs much. I find books more useful for advice on painting. As for You Tube, there's lots of mediocre clips on it and sometimes it can be hard to find good ones on art..

Edited
by keora