Alan Owen's Youtube demos

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Alan, who contributes here now and then, is an old lad - I'm not entirely sure how old, because he has been known to send conflicting signals about that, but I think around 90 probably covers it.  He has a Patreon channel for his watercolours, but continues to share his videos on YouTube for free.  I watched one just this afternoon - he's indefatigable.  His hero is Ted Wesson, and it's in Ted's style that he tends to paint - but he can range far beyond that, when the fancy takes him. Go and search him out, and give him encouragement.  He's an amazingly generous man and a very great encourager of others: and there are far too few of those.  He deserves a bit back - he even recites poetry and sings in his latest vid!  Above and beyond the call of duty.  I think if this time we're going through teaches us nothing else, it's that we should give praise when it's due, when we've still got the chance.  
So many deserving people go without due praise these days Alan. I will have a look at his videos, something I don’t normally do, but will on you recommendation, thank you.
Thanks for the reminder Robert re Alan Owens little gems.  His work is delightful and his videos are masterpieces. 
I'll certainly have a look even though I do few watercolours these days. 
Do it Peter.  His videos are wonderful.  This message seems to have taken a backseat which is a shame.  Alan is a wonderful watercolour artist and can knock spots off most of us.  Just Google Alan Owen and I promise you won’t regret it . Go on...you know you have the time . X

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I'm going to try and get some of Alan's lovely videos uploaded to the site  - we did have some before the changes last year!
Thank you POL ,I did try but it didn’t work.😊
How lovely to see Alan mentioned here. I actually contacted him a few years ago after seeing his videos on youtube and realising he had a local accent - I figured he must live relatively nearby.  He was an absolute gent, happy to answer all of my questions about painting watercolour. I ended up going round to his house one afternoon for tea and he showed me his paintings, how he paints, some of his paintings that have never been on youtube, his books on Ted Wesson and Edward Seago - he thinks Seago is the absolute best.  He looked at some of my paintings and gave me some tips. He packed me off home with an armful of old magazines and some of his own original paintings, didn't even mention it - I didn't realise he'd given me paintings until I got home and went through what I thought was just a pile of art magazines.  Absolute gent, I do hope he is well. 
He was still posting on Youtube a few days ago - I think the Grim Reaper will have a hell of a time trying to drag him away from his easel: Alan would poke him in the eye with the wrong end of a paintbrush.   So glad to read you visited him - he says I flatter him: but I don't!  I just say what I mean and what I see: he's a huge inspiration and as modest a man as we'll ever meet.  
I have rejigged one of Alan's articles which he wrote for Leisure Painter a few years ago. You can read it here https://www.painters-online.co.uk/tips-techniques/watercolour/articles/paint-a-country-lane-fast-and-loose-in-watercolour/

Edited
by Painters-Online Team

Thanks for the video link. I enjoyed it and watched with a growing smile on my face.  It appeared haphazard, yet perfectly controlled. What skill.  And the voice..... So calming, and with a clock striking gently in the background.  By 'eck...  Put kettle on mother.  There's one thing missing (as in so many painting videos).  I'd like to have seen his mixing palette, where much of the work is done.