What are the best acrylic paints?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Could anyone recommend a good online shop to buy decent quality Acrylics?  I'd prefer not to use Amazon if possible.
I can’t speak for acrylics Simon, but for oil paints I find Jackson’s Art have by far the most comprehensive choice, and of course they are competitively priced as you’d expect.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

I can’t speak for acrylics Simon, but for oil paints I find Jackson’s Art have by far the most comprehensive choice, and of course they are competitively priced as you’d expect.
Alan Bickley on 24/02/2021 15:09:01
Thanks!
I can recommend Jackson's too, and also Ken Bromleys Art Supplies

Edited
by Helen Martell

I can second both of Helen’s recommendations Simon. I use both and they have an excellent selection, are reliable, efficient and competitively priced. 
Jacksons; Ken Bromley; Art Discount (Grantham's); Cass Art; Great Art (Gerstaecker); Cornellisen; there's no shortage of online art shops selling acrylics, and not really any shortage of different acrylic paints, either.  Dominoes, Pegasus Art supplies, more would come to mind if I weren't a touch under the weather right now.....  You certainly don't have to use Amazon.  
Simon: Plus one for Ken Bromley and Jacksons. As for actual paint, I have never used anything but Daler-Rowney for acrylics. When I started they were pretty much the only horse in town for acrylics. . I prefer W&N for all my other paints. I suppose their Acrylics would be okay, but I have experience of Daler and they were always good. For pastels I prefer Unison or Senelier As a matter of fact I just ordered new tubes of W&N water colour. I am slowly recovering from the shock. Almost three figures for 7 tubes of 14ml! I think I am going to acquaint myself with Cotman water colours; unless I suddenly start selling! Incidentally, Jacksons and Bromley also market through Amazon, and certainly would be quicker at the moment.  hope that has been of use Simon. Regards  John

Edited
by John Walker

I buy my paint from Jacksons, but System 3 Daler Rowney Heavy Body are good.  ( I won a whole bunch of of DR paints in a competition so I have tried an tested them.)  I also checked colours against each other and found that the colours were daily consistent apart from Burnt Sienna, which varied the most.  It also varies in pastels.
I buy my paint from Jacksons, but System 3 Daler Rowney Heavy Body are good.  ( I won a whole bunch of of DR paints in a competition so I have tried an tested them.)  I also checked colours against each other and found that the colours were daily consistent apart from Burnt Sienna, which varied the most.  It also varies in pastels.
Linda Wilson on 10/03/2021 19:05:53
I bought System 3 Daler and Rowney Acrylic paints when I last visited Yorkshire in 2014, which have been great to paint natural still-life subjects. Strangely enough I was looking at the shell still-life painting I did a while ago and one can see that these pigments certainly do adhere well to the canvas and produce a lasting effect!  I painted this River Hiz scene then later the seashells so these pigments do work well for natural scenes and still-life subjects. 
Just an update here.  I have recently finished an acrylic painting (Wells Cathedral on the works for critique thread) using mainly Winsor & Newton professional  and Daler Rowney Cryla. I have also used quite a lot of DR glaze medium and slow dry gel.  The results are definitely much better than I was previously achieving.   The colours have more depth to them and altogether are more pleasing.  I'll only be buying these type or similar in the future.  Mind you I still have a lot of the cheaper ppaints to use up somehow!
Both excellent choices, Steve.  Cryla is one of the oldest acrylic brands, which I first used an almost unbelievable 55 years ago; they were excellent then, and they still are.  Winsor and Newton introduced their Finity range later, with a very large range of colours, and now call them Artists' quality acrylics - I have criticisms of W & N, and the conglomerate that swallowed them, but their acrylics and watercolours are still way up there with the best.  I can also recommend Chromacolour, Golden acrylics (by reputation), and System3: but I think the paints you've chosen should give you everything you're looking for in acrylic paint.  There are those who will tell you that the paint quality doesn't matter, it's what you do with it - well, there's a certain amount of truth in that, but not much!  Fact is, economizing - i.e. buying cheap! - actually and actively holds you back and discourages you - you produce an unsatisfactory result with cheap boards, brushes and paints, and assume it's your fault, you're not good enough; truth is, you're cooking with old potatoes and woody swede - and even Escoffier couldn't make a banquet with that at his disposal.  Good choices, in short.
Showing page 2 of 3