Turner gouache acrylics

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Looking at some Turner gouache acrylics. At first I thought no acrylic it drys so quickly.  But after a little research I find they might do well as they do not dry instantly like acrylic paints. I have some on order. Has anyone had experience with them? My interest here is gouache not acrylic paints. Thanks
Well John, some of your research isn’t strictly correct.  To start first with acrylics: they do not dry instantly as you say, in fact they stay workable for quite some time. I can’t give a figure on this as it depends on many factors, climate conditions being the obvious one. I’m not familiar with gouache acrylic which you mention, this is new to me. Gouache is an excellent medium so you’ve made a great choice here - it’s not used extensively by artists so much these days but you should enjoy working with them. However, in my experience, they do tend to dry fairly quickly, particularly when applied to absorbent paper such as cartridge or watercolour paper. That shouldn’t be considered a disadvantage though, so you need to experiment with technique. The Turner range will be a good introduction to gouache, I hope that you enjoy using them and do share your work with us on the gallery.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Just checked out acrylic gouache on the Jackson’s website and it does look interesting. Basically a mix of the two, giving a water resistant matte finish.  Robert Jones is knowledgable on acrylic, if you’re tuning in Robert, what are your thoughts on acrylic gouache? If any!
Yes gouache is an excellent medium use it in my sketchbooks a lot. The trick to prevent them drying to quickly on absorbent paper Alan is to lay on a thin layer transparent layer of white acrylic. Then start painting, works a treat. I have the Turner gouache on order, they are made in Japan. So not sure how they get the name Turner. Lol. It’s strange Windsor and newton colours are made in FRANCE. Do we make anything here in England any more?? Oh yes we do Rosemary brushes in good old Yorkshire. And they are the best and go world wide. I will report back when I given the acrylic gouache a test drive.
I haven't used them - I confess to being curious though, because gouache is basically opaque watercolour, and you can achieve an approach to that with conventional acrylics.  But - I'll give them a try one day: if spared.....
Very interested in how you get on, John.  I've been trying different media lately...but keep coming back to watercolor and pen.  I use standard white and black Gouache a little, but for some reason haven't gone the whole hog gouache-wise.  I looked these up, it said when dry they have good waterproof  (just like that, I think it was Japanese, translated by a Tibetan, and then by an illiterate Englishman.  So it was far from clear).   If this gouache is waterproof when dry, it's not like normal gouache.   I recently bought some Japanese watercolors (they had the same tortured English write-up), they had good reviews and took about 3 weeks from Japan.  I like them.  They are in pans, larger but thinner than the norm I'm used to...the only downside is that I seem to be getting through them at a rate of knots, far quicker than the White Knights I've been using. So I'll watch this space with interest.
Lew, the Jackson’s website gives good information. Yes they are waterproof and dry matte, which is rather nice. I’m also quite interested and may even buy a few to try out.
Well mine are coming from Japan as well lewis. At first I thought Acyclic gouache, no never. But I understand there is a good window in the drying time. Unlike acrylic once it’s on that it, it’s on. They are on their way over on the  old trump steamer right now passing the Bay of Biscay. They might be well plenty moist on arrival. Looking forward to testing them out. I did look on Jackson’s but nothing court my eye as I was after a set.
The Turner range of acrylic gouache paints are made in Japan, so what the quality is like is anyone’s guess. However, if Jackson’s are stocking them I’m sure they will be good. I rarely buy in sets because you often get colours you wouldn’t or rarely use, but let us know how you get on with them John.
First off it is essential that you use a wet in wet palette for these Turner Gouache paints, 20mm tubes. Otherwise your mixes will very quickly become unusable. A wet in wet palette will keep them nice and moist for days. The paint has good volume and flows creamy from the tubes. The colours are super rich in pigmentation, body and depth, lovely and vibrant. You can water them down like the regular gouache paints then build up thicker layers. With a touch of water they flow beautifully. Being acrylic they soon dry. This is an advantage as you do not risk lifting of the previous layers, and they do not bleed when applying more paint. When fully dry the are water resistant but do not have that acrylic appearance when dry. They truly are gouache with a beautiful Matte finish. They can be applied to a range of surfaces like normal acrylic paints. The sample I painted here is on cartridge paper. In my haste to start I did not first prime the paper. As a result there was a bit of drag as the paper absorbs the water in the pint. Also I was applying the paint a bit to thickly I feel. I have started another on Bristol board paper, much better. I will get better with them as I go along, I really like them. 
Very useful post there, John, thank you.  These look like being well worth trying: added to my shopping-list.