Should I use acrylics to customize shoes?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported!
Back in 1968, I had an art teacher who painted his shoes. He used to turn up in a maroon suit, light blue shirt, orange tie and shoes, painted red (I’m sure with acrylic). Since I was at a military boarding school you can imagine, this came as a bit of a shock. I’ve always loved art and thought that maybe this was a sign that my final years there could be promising. Unfortunately, he was a poor teacher, couldn’t draw and took a dislike to me for some reason. I decided that he was a bit of a fraud and took metalwork and technical drawing instead. I often wonder what would have happened if he had been a bit any good and a bit more supportive.

Edited
by Paul Elliott

Art teachers do tend to vary hugely in quality - but I'd never trust one who painted his shoes. The answer to the question here was to use fabric paint, but I'm blowed if I could be bothered to suggest anything more expansive; and I hate sneakers anyway.  Or trainers, or whatever they were.  Nothing to do with what this group is about, so the poster is gorn, and never called me mother.  But not banned: might have been a genuine question; and if it was - we really don't do, in rough order: household painting, i.e. doing up your kitchen; face painting; touching up your nick-nacks; or painting your footwear, unless you're doing a still-life study of them.  Because if we did, this site would soon degenerate into DIY corner - or Fun Crafts YOU can do at home!   And b****r that for a game of soldiers. 
Why not?  I recently bought some leather paint to repair my sofa, only to discover that it is acrylic!  So why not shoes?
Absolutely. I’m thinking of painting my hiking boots with a landscape.
A landscape on your hiking boots, or a landscape with your hiking boots, or your boots with a landsca...... I've been feeling guilty ever since I removed this post - and wouldn't have done except I was quick off the mark when a complaint was received.  The answer is - you can paint with acrylic on cloth; you can even paint with acrylic on leather.  But it'll soak into unprimed cloth, and it may peel off from leather - you might reduce that by scuffing the leather, but would you want to...? It would still be, let us be frank, an odd thing to do - but if you really want to do it, you could.  Conceivably, you could even do it with oil paint but .... it would sink in, rot the cloth, if it is cloth rather than leather... and probably make the boot feel pretty horrible within.  But oil will take to leather - I don't think it would last long, subjected to a hike.... but there we are.  

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Why not? Amazing idea
What dug this thread up?   Of course you CAN paint on anything: you CAN drink neat bleach - once.  That doesn't make it an especially good idea.  
What dug this thread up?  
Robert Jones, NAPA on 10/04/2023 18:30:23
I noticed on a PC the last comment in any section get highlighted in the sidebar. After a couple of weeks the highlight disappears. When spam gets removed the last post get re-highlighted even if it's years old. I tend to look at that sidebar, it's easy to mistake it as a new post. 
Yup, the sidebar is the first place I look. Couldn't resist "What dug this thread up", and I always read Robert's posts anyway.

Edited
by Sandra Kennedy

Showing page 1 of 2