Seeking help for my painting goal

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello people, I just very recently started with painting and decided to already search help for the "style" I want to paint in the future. Here is an example: This painting is from the game "Mount and Blade: Bannerlord" I wish that I could paint like this, not only that kind of "bigger painting" but also Portraits in this style of art (By the way I would be very thankful if someone could tell me how this is called). Of course I know that it does take time and practice and that everything is done step by step, but I'm just curious what I should consider on my way to becoming a hobby-painter.  I'm currently painting with acrylic-colors.
Try the grisaille method.  Paint in shades of grey, from white to black first and when it is dry apply glazes of colour over the top.  There are demonstrations on u-tube.  This is a very complicated picture and the method would simplify the process.  But get the drawing right first.

Edited
by Linda Wilson

Best not to have any preconceived style in mind when starting out, this will develop naturally as you progress. Linda mentions drawing, it’s the most important element in becoming a good artist.  It could take decades to reach the standard of painting that you aspire to achieve in your photo, forget it, do your own thing! Art is about learning, experimenting and enjoying the process.
That’s a difficult painting to do, however it’s achievable with practice as are most things. If you are new to painting but this aside for the moment and practice drawing and painting simpler achievable studies for now. You will build up your skill with lots of practice, try painting just one figure of small part of the scene as you develop your skill. It takes time but I do admire your ambition, the most important thing is to not give up when it doesn’t go right use it as a learning. Good luck and good painting have fun on the way. 
This sort of picture is almost certainly largely if not entirely computer-generated, for the game you mention.  Producing anything similar yourself with paint and brushes would be a major undertaking, but if you want to try, and why not?, look out for books on fantasy art - it's not my area of interest so I can't recommend titles, but most retailers of art supplies seem to have them on their websites, I know that Jackson's had.  They're quite good on drawing (I read one, long time ago) but be warned that the techniques seem to involve a good deal of airbrush painting (with acrylics, I presume).  Google fantasy art - this may not be what you actually want to achieve, but I suspect you'll find it quite useful in pursuing your particular interest. 
Great to have ambition....keep on keeping on .🌻
🌻

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

You say you'd like to paint in that style, but as a hobby-artist.  Presumably you already draw and paint, we don't know much about you...there's nothing in the gallery from you.  Although this is fantasy art it's painted realistically, it takes many years experience and work to produce an image like that.  Maybe you're already on your way...we don't know. Luckily, most illustrators are very generous regarding how they produce their art.  So there's lots of information out there on the web.   Pick a few artists whose work you admire, not to copy, but for tips and inspiration.  Almost certainly the painting you show is digital art.  Nothing wrong with that.  Fantastic digital work is being made.  However you are using acrylic, so it might help if you looked at work from artists using traditional materials.  There are many. Here's one...James Gurney...a well established, successful artist painting unreal things in a realistic way.  This is an example of his work.  He paints mostly in oils. It might not be to your taste, but he illustrates in a realistic fashion.  (He's very outgoing with how he works.) It was good advice to start with something less demanding...a study...or a single figure in a background. You've already had this advice...I am always looking at fantasy art...most of them offer advice.  The most common advice (whatever medium they use) is draw...draw...and then draw some more. It should be fun, good luck, and I hope you show us how you're getting on.
Hi Angu, You have great ambitions.  Could you post here something you have recently drawn?  It would great for us to see where you are on your learning journey. I agree with all the advice given above.  Start small and find your feet first with sketching.  Start with something very easy.  Because if you set yourself up too high and it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it to be, you may set aside painting which would be a real shame.  Try all genres and find yourself as an Artist...
I forgot to mention that if you use grits packages on your computer, then I would recommend the same method.  B&W first and then apply semi opaque layers of colour over the top.  I think the picture you show as an example is done in this way.