Seeking advice on how to improve photo reference for a painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello! I am hoping to paint this photo I found in my attic that was taken back in 1990... I love the three figures in the front but I'm not satisfied with how the background looks. Does anyone have advice about how I could alter the background to strengthen the composition, color, balance, etc? I'm mainly worried about the excessive amounts of green foliage that take attention away from the kids.  Thank you!

Edited
by Sophia Ma

My subject matter is landscapes so I have no direct experience of doing something like this Sophia. Also I don’t work from photos; I tell you this simply so that you know where I’m coming from as we used to say. That said, if it’s the figures that inspire you and you are unhappy with the background then don’t paint the background. I find the composition of the photo a little awkward anyway—it’s a personal snapshot isn’t it, not a carefully composed photograph. This is one reason I don’t like working from photos; it’s too easy to wind up painting the photo. The figures can be against any background you choose, a simple graduated tint maybe. Or think about cropping the picture to head+shoulders maybe. I rather like the colour difference from the blue in the far distance to the green foreground. But I find that awkward diagonal to be uncomfortable.