Mixing Acrylic Paint with Liquitex Fabric Effects Medium

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi there, I'm a keen textiles user and have recently been trying my hand at printing on to fabric and was wondering about the use of liquitex fabric effects medium. When mixing this with some ordinary black acrylic paint would it cause the acrylic to dry quicker? I'm intending on mixing them together and keeping them in a sealed container but wanted to know whether this is a good idea or would it would it lead to the paint going off?
I've not used the fabric effects medium.   Acrylic paint, however, dries very quickly without any outside help - if you wanted to keep it fluid, you could mix it with water, or flow medium, or a number of other retardant mediums available from different makers.  Acrylic paint in a sealed container is still likely to dry hard, the less fluid it is (sooner or later, it reliably dries in the tubes, as well: a good reason not to be mean with it and to use it while you've got it).  It shouldn't 'go off', though that rather depends on the brand and how much water is mixed with it, but it will gradually dry out.  If it does go off, which you'll be able to tell by the smell (which can be fairly disgusting) it will still be usable - it's the stagnant water rather than the paint, the same effect you get if you leave your clothes soaking in the sink for too long.  I think Liquitex are fairly good at answering questions, so you might try having a word with them.   You could try interactive acrylics - or inks; the first can be revived, but don't ask me how because I've not used them, having no use for that feature with acrylic paint, and the second are formulated to stay workable for a very long time.
Thanks very much for the help Robert! Greatly appreciated :)