Acrylic ,Varnish,Acrylic, Varnish.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Have just looked this up and it says yes you can. A painting in acrylic  I have just finished and varnished I have decided to alter bits of it.   The info says that it is possible to do small bits of acrylic repainting over the varnish and then re varnish it.....keep up.....sorry... it’s all a bit muddly...but I know what I mean. But I just wonder if anyone has actually done this ! . Opinions please, all help gratefully received.  Alternative is  to remove all the varnish and then repaint . Note to self , live with new masterpiece for at least a week before applying varnish. 
I've done that before Sylvia. Didn't come across any problems but I think my varnish was acrylic.
Which, when, what, who?   Be a touch specific, Sylv! Yes you can paint over acrylic varnish, because it's the same substance as the paint over which you're painting, acrylic resin.  You might want to give it a sanding, but - I doubt it'd help - it just tends to shred acrylic varnish and leave you with flaky bits.   Other media would present other, much worse, problems.  But if you've painted an acrylic, added an acrylic varnish, and then decided to paint over both - I'm not aware of any real problems at all, even on flexible supports.  Oil - over acrylic (don't like it) and then varnished with ketone varnish would of course be a whole level of worse problems, but I trust you have no desire to venture there, being a painter of discernment and technical knowledge! I think, sooner or later, the best thing to do with an acrylic painting that just isn't working is to snap the damn' thing over one's knee and put a new board on the easel: but there's much you can do with it before you reach that stage. 
Thanks Marjorie and Robert.  I needed your expert confirmation before I went ahead.  I actually like the pic ,I posted it the other day. It’s just needs some lighting and more contrasts.  Hence my comment about living with an opus before you chuck on the varnish...never too old to learn. 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

It’s worked well. Thanks .
Hello Sylvia. I'm adding to your thread, not particularly to answer your question (as I've never used varnish), but to ask a varnish-related question - I currently use Matt Medium on my acrylic paintings if they're not being covered by glass. I was wondering if this is protective enough, or would I be better with a (matt) varnish?
Hi Helen. If you are using acrylic on paper I would put under glass , but if on canvas or board I use varnish . It gives a great finish and yes it’s very protective you can clean with just dusting or a damp cloth. So no problems. I tend to use gloss it is pretty shiny but it enhances colours beautifully. I think that is trial and error and personal taste.
I can't immediately find the link now, but if you Google Will Kemp (and not Gary Kemp, as I originally typed - he wouldn't help at all!)- you'll find a lot of information about acrylics, and specifically about varnishing.    Actually, try this link https://willkempartschool.com/product/absolute-beginners-acrylic-course/ He's a lovely artist, and by all accounts a lovely man, very generous with advice.  
I will look up Will Kemp, thank you Robert. Sylvia, whilst I am not a shiny fan, I think I will try a satin and a matt for now. I fancy framing some flat boards in wide-framed glass-less style, so they'd need some protection.  My earliest acrylics are 10 yrs old, box canvas, and were covered in matt medium. They just need a flick over with a microfibre cloth now and again. I haven't tried a damp cloth (and won't - I'd be fearful the matt medium would become sticky). I don't think they've faded at all in that time, but then again they haven't been exposed to direct sunlight (But have been on various walls of the house, and now migrated to the back bedroom out of any visitors sight!)