Acrylic, Gouache, box canvas, stretch canvas and lots more???

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 7 of 7
Framing is all down to our own personal choice, we all accept that!  There are general parameters that can be used as a guide when deciding which frame will suit which painting, but nothing is written in stone! As a rule of thumb, smaller drawings, etchings etc will be greatly enhanced if mounted in a fairly large bevelled mount, with a simple narrow frame. Unglazed oil or acrylic paintings will depend on their size. A smallish work looks better in a wider frame, large paintings are more tricky. Many of the Old Masters works that we see in galleries are encased in huge ornate mouldings, but these are so expensive and not so fashionable in today’s market. For my own oil paintings of say 16 x 20in, a fairly simple off white/cream/beige moulding of around 2in or so looks right. 
One or two of the forum members may remember Kevan McGinty, who posted some of his excellent Scottish mountain and landscapes on the gallery a while back. At his studio and gallery he also does a framing service, and as he is local to me he does all my framing. He has an experienced eye for what suits a painting, he doesn’t always agree with my choice but we compromise, and when completed, he was right. Personally, I wouldn't compromise on the quality of the frame you choose, especially for exhibiting. Your client deserves the best, after all he/she is making an investment in your art. It’s just the whole package thing isn’t it? If you don’t use inferior materials to create your work, why surround the finished work with a product that doesn’t enhance what you’ve already achieved? I’m relating to exhibition standards not local village art fairs etc.  I’ve used the less expensive off the shelf frames for local, smaller venues and priced according to the market, otherwise you would be taking most back home with you. But paintings that I put in galleries I always use Kevan and his keen eye! I don’t want to give the impression that I have lots of framed masterpieces hanging on numerous gallery walls, far from it, its a very modest contribution I can assure you.....and only when people twist my arm! I suppose what I’m trying to say is....don’t stint, and that goes for all things. Get the best you can afford, even if it means having one or two instead of ten......or secondhand instead of new. It shows in the end product.
You’ve summed it up nicely Fiona, and for once I agree with everything! I remember Kevan very well, fabulous atmospheric Scottish scenes in oils, I do wish he’d return to the gallery. You’ve got a few masterpieces surely? You have half a dozen of my paintings...!
Showing page 7 of 7