September forum challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
As I am away for a week from today, I thought I would set the September challenge before I leave today. I am openly saying that this months challenge has been totally inspired by this gallery painting 'Field Flow' by Chrissie Havers who used cobalt green, mixed with various yellows and violet to paint the whole landscape http://bit.ly/2TWklI4 So this month's challenge is to pick one colour (in any medium) and use it to paint a subject of your choice. I look forward to seeing your efforts when I return to work on September 3!
You don't mean a monochrome, then, but a predominant colour into which we can mix various others to help it along? I hope.... Cobalt Green is a blinking expensive colour - but also a marvellous one; one of the few greens you could use on its own; there aren't many others that could carry a whole painting, so perhaps the challenge here is to find an alternative; or use Cobalt Green ourselves. (Bit of a snag here: haven't got any....)
I'm sure we aren't expected to use these expensive colours, just similar colours. A good exercise for producing art with a limited pallet. Busy, busy, Alan :)
This challenge seems a bit slow to get started Jenny, I love your colours they go really well together. In my green theme I have used a variety of leaves from the garden in different shades of greens with Inkbrush pens. The colours are quite bright so thought I would try to keep it as much like a stained glass window as possible. I have also used neon gel pens to outline in some areas of my painting. Linda D

Edited
by Anderson42

Thank you Leslie, I forgot to put my name at the bottom. lol Linda Drury.
Beautiful work, Jen and Linda. Will get something done by next week, so much to do before members of my family arrive from Oz.
This is a painting I completed on the 25th last month. The green colour on the mountain is Malachite.

Edited
by carol

One I did a while back using base blue as the main colour. Hope this is what's required..Jim.
Thank you. Alan, the script goes something like, carefree water, an element we couldn't live without, and often we squander even though there's plenty of it falling from above :) Look forward to seeing your post for this challenge. A striking image, Jim. Like the contract of light and dark.

Edited
by carol

Morning Haze and Shadows. Predominantly mixes of blue/green hues - a really quick alla prima sketch but I may well have another go before the end of the month. Lots of interesting potential with this month’s challenge! Oil on Arches Cold Pressed oil sketching paper, 12 x 16in.
Hi, here is my entry to the challenge. The basic colour was Terre Verte. I mixed it with Burnt Umber and some Yellow Ochre. I hope it fits the challenge next to all those wonderful entries :) Mia

Edited
by MiaKetels

Well done everyone, some very good work on show. I'm having a go at this now. I guess it's similar to working in monochrome, which I do often...but, as has been said...not QUITE the same. I'm taking one color as my base color and mixing other colors with it. By which I mean every color on the image will have some of the base color in the mix. It's feeling a bit odd...but I'll persevere. Lew.
Showing page 1 of 2