Fixing paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I’ve been trying out some different pastel papers recently and fixing them with Windsor and Newton fixative. All have been fine except a portrait on Clairefontaine pastel May paper which darkened after the fixative was applied. So I probably won’t use that paper in the future. But just out of interest which fixative does anyone else use?
It does tend to darken Christine, but once it evaporates it lightens up again. However, I’ve not tried that particular paper. I’ve gone off using the W&N fixative, and reverted back to my college years where the only way to fix a charcoal or pastel drawing was from a bottle using an atomiser. The brand I’m currently trying out is Royal Talens and well pleased with it so far. Atomizers are cheap and readily available, they do take a bit of practice to get a fine mist however - I hate all things aerosol. The atomizer is so much better in my opinion.
I am using Sennelier fixative spray. Although oil pastels are impossible to dry completely, there’s something with this product that holds the pastels in place while keeping any dust particles off. This lends the painting to an optimum shield against dirt, dust, and smudging.
Oil pastels.......?  Sorry I understood we were talking about chalky pastels. Abs alutly no point in spraying  oil  pastel with anything.  Oil pastel should be framed under glass. .  Or am I misunderstanding? .

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

No Sylvia, you’re quite right. Cynically, I suspect this is an advert.
Thanks Marjorie for heads up..  Well there’s a daffy me....☹️  Maybe they ...who ever ,ought to know what they are talking about.   

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I’ve gone off using the W&N fixative, and reverted back to my college years where the only way to fix a charcoal or pastel drawing was from a bottle using an atomiser. The brand I’m currently trying out is Royal Talens and well pleased with it so far.
Alan Bickley on 20/08/2019 12:58:53
Alan, where do you get the RT liquid fixative? I use a lot of fixative—like you, with a diffuser—and the only 1 litre I’ve found is Lukas. It’s ok but I might like to try an alternative. I’ve searched royal talens fixative and it comes up only on their own site; not one of the suppliers is in the results. As a PS: SYLVIA, next to the fixative on the RT site was a liquid varnish for oil pastels which I suspect is intended for use with a diffuser.
I steam my pastels. This activates the gum Arabic in the pastel, which previously kept the pastel in a stick.  When it dries out, there is no colour shift in either the paper or pastel.  It is not 100% in controlling the dust but I really like the lack of colour shift.  But I have had some bad experience of ACP spray for coloured pencils.  Very blotchy, so adding another layer of colour on top is patchy too.
Steam? Steam? I’d never have thought of that but yes, it makes some kind of sense. I do a lot of pastel sketching in the field. I suppose I could take the camping equipment with me as well as the other stuff. I might try steaming for studio work.
Hi John, there is only one major outlet for Talens products and it’s up in Scotland. I don’t seem to have that address to hand. If you email RT the U.K. director will respond.
The only snag with using a diffuser is that you have to remember to blow, and not suck.  Fixed tonsils are no fun. I would never have thought of steam as a fixative - I'm not sure how seriously I'm thinking of it NOW, either..... but it'd be worth a try.  Question to experienced pastellists - there are paintings several hundred years old in pastel, many of which are as vibrant now as they were in the 17th and 18th centuries.   What, if anything, did the painters of those days use to fix them?  Did they actually use anything?  
https://www.jacksonsart.com/royal-talens-concentrated-fixative-spray-can-400ml?gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X00ZSVQO7lvo0a8XIEM1q4vWa1naMrnTxkXtiUpFijeONr6wbpUUeOBoCllYQAvD_BwE A whopping link, and I don't know if it'll work - but if it doesn't: Jacksons do the Talens fixative, and the product is in stock. 
Showing page 1 of 2