Introducing interesting services that you should know

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I wonder how others carry their equipment about. I have a 'travel pack' which consists of a small brief case (a valued cast off from working days) in which I keep a palette, a few spare tubes of my favourite colours, a few brushes in a brush case, a collapsible water pot, a pencil tin containg pencils, rubbers, a couple of pens and pencil sharpener, a small plastic container with water in it, some spare watercolour paper in quarter sheets (which fit out of the way in the pocket in the lid) , a plywood support and some bulldog clips to support the painting and my trusty old rag. The lid of my brief case stays open giving easy access to everything and I have it beside me when I paint. When I paint in a group on desk top I use the case to support the board giving it about a 15 degree angle which is what I prefer so the case is quite multi-functional. It may look a bit odd but it suits me down to the ground - I find it so much easier than using one of the purpose made bags where you have to forever rummage around looking for things - I find it quite amusing watching colleagues struggling with their bags - I wonder what do others use?
I generally keep a selection of oil painting gear, along with canvas boards all together in a fairly large pochade box. This stays permanently in the boot of my car, along with a good strong tripod to support it, that’s unless I manage to find an old tree stump or suitable sturdy object to rest it on. I don’t tend to use masses of different colours and medium etc, keeping things as simple and light as possible when painting plein air is important. A selection of small sketch pads and pens tend to be kept in a canvas bag, also in the boot, its wise to be prepared at short notice, an interesting subject can present itself unexpectedly when out and about. I’ve also got my old leather brief case which is stuffed with old documents, that’s a possibility for storing my sketching stuff I suppose, interesting idea!
Wow Marrish - I could have written that. I also use an old briefcase from days gone by. I also carry much the same equipment and use the case to support my board at (as you say ) about 15 degrees. The only difference: when working on a desk in a group I also have a small hairdryer inside. And as for the trusty rag - perhaps I should say musty rag - yes I cannot work without one. I use it to wipe brushes, as well as cleaning palette and importantly to remove pigment from the painting to achieve different effects. (watercolour of course). When working in a group I also carry a small holder with different sizes of mount - when painting watercolours I find it such a help in determining tones, composition etc to put a mount around the work from time to time as I proceed. And yes, I also smile at colleagues struggling with their expensive purpose made bags trying to find their bits and pieces - so much easier with a briefcase.

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

My outdoor work is most usually done as sketches to collect material for studio paintings. My stuff goes in the boot and I prefer to work standing so the bonnet provides the 'easel'.
I have a backpack that holds my easel, brushes, paint etc and my watercolour block, stool, plein air umbrella all get thrown onto my bicycle.
An environmentally friendly way to get about to paint, and your painting looks vibrant. Is your pallet a, clover leaf?
I don't have a car so I'm either bici, on foot or public transport!! Yes a cloverleaf.
Thanks for letting me know about the palette, Amanda.