Berkley Castle

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello, this is my first attempt at painting with oils. It's a 30cm x 30cm picture of Berkley Castle, on 9mm MDF primed with nothing more than 2 coats of emulsion! Some aspects I'm really pleased with, like the curtain wall, then the windows get more sketchy. Any suggestions as to how to get very very fine lines are especially welcome, thanks.

Edited
by darrenf3

Keora has mentioned Liquin In your other post. This can also thin the paint and make adding detail a bit easier. I don’t like seeing too much detail on my work so I don’t know how good this stuff is! Use any soft round pointed brush, synthetic is probably best, or a rigger if you can master it. It’s never, in my view, a good idea to add fine detail on distant objects such as windows. It can really destroy an otherwise excellent painting. You’ve probably used a photograph for reference here, nothing wrong with that, but put your own take on it, don’t try and copy it. I would suggest that this may be the case here! A really good start mind you, keep going!
You can thin the paint with Linseed oil or Walnut oil - you certainly can use Liquin but I loathe the smell of it.. Not a bad medium, though. This may be your first painting in oils, but it's certainly not your first painting, is it? If it were, you'd be our newest resident genius.... it's a fine painting. I agree with Alan on details in windows; overdone, they can stand out like staring eyes in a portrait.
For very fine lines I use a rigger or half-rigger, with the second being easier to control. You need very thin paint, almost ink-like in consistency, then remove the excess from the brush by painting a line or two on some paper etc, then apply where required. It takes practice though. This is a fine oil painting, with some lovely detail. Your sky is all one colour and I would've expected to see some gradation from the top to the horizon. The sky lightens as you drop to the horizon because that section is furthest away, so things like air quality, humidity and pollution make a difference. Wherever there's a haze you'll find desaturated colours. Your colours, stonework and foliage all look great to me, and the grass is enviable. *smile* Best Bri