You say tomato

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Bazlle or BAY-zle? Ore-GAH-no or or-REG-anno? PAS-tle or pas-TELL?
I say potayto and you say potahto; you say tomayto and I say tomahto - dammit, you're just WRONG! Pas-TELL would be correct in French, and - slightly oddly - it's the pronunciation Americans tend to use. PAStel would be more normal in English; but then, I've known English people pronounce don Quixote as 'don Kwiksut', which would have puzzled Cervantes. Oregano - the Italians lay the stress on the second syllable. Basil - well Bayzil has just GOT to be wrong! Follow the good old English principle - if it's foreign, it's wrong and probably unpatriotic, so shout at the swine until they realize the error of their ways...
Somebody somewhere, can't remember who, wrote...Americans talking about honour, they can't even spell the damn thing.....
English is English darn it. Once in America someone said: 'I love your accent'. My rather ungracious reply: 'I'm English, I speak English, I don't have an accent'. But I did say it with a smile on my face!
I have good nose for you. The world is changing and so is the language. Words cross the Atlantic with rising sea levels. I cringe when asked - where are you sat? Perhaps that is just the wrong grammar. Google translator does not help.
I have a dislike for nouns turned into verbs, so would back away from a 'gessoed' canvas when a perfectly good 'primed' canvas was available. Perhaps it is time we asked the USA, politely of course, to stop calling their language English. Surely if Cornish pasties, Melton Mowbray pork pies and Jersey royal potatoes can be protected, then the English language should be too. Falling that perhaps we could ask President Trump to put a tariff on our use of their words and phrases, especially 'gotten', it might help reduce their usage!
Y'know what? In 200 years time American will have replaced French as the first foreign language our descendants will study. I still recall the lovely Suzanne, with whom I worked at a big US bank about 30 years ago. Suzanne came from Da Bronx, and one day she looked at me and said in her great big nasal whine "Geez, Alan; I wish I had an accent" "Burglarized" - with a zee, not a zed - when it should be "Burgled" winds me up. There are more
The American letter 'r' whereby job becomes jarb, cop becomes carp et al - I've even written a poem about it but I won't post it - this is an art site after all .
Why should it matter who says this to mean that, many 'foreign' words are acceptable in the art world. We know what is being said, so. lets just get on with life. The English language moves on... There's far more important 'light hearted' events in life going on :)

Edited
by carol

Language and accents? As a pure born and bred north of Englander of the Ee -Bye- Gum College of Knowledge finishing school, it is particularly hard to hear a stepson, born in Scouseland, who says he's been working on his "padio" (read patio) and substitutes "d" for every "t" like a born Californian when phoning or Skyping home.. He's married and has lived over there these last ten years and is now a total "cousin from over the pond" , but it's still weird. My wife has also become "Mom" in the bargain. My dad was Irish and it was bad enough that the relations couldn't say James, (it had to be Seamus), and I've lived in Westoughton where they still speak Aramaic biblical "thee and thou", and had a shop in Wigan where they can't even understand each other. It was written in the stars that my first wife had to come from Yorkshire, so don't talk to me about accents. Oh, I can also speak enough Spanish to get by...😆
It's not just pronunciation and word mangling, but spelling! One of our better known, and liked, contributors has recently posted '...my color work is more like drawing with paint...' He got away with 'Math' in his growing up project. Beginning to suspect he comes form Greenwich Village and not Greenwich!
Change itself is changing? We're not on about mental health issues, here, we're on about the evolution of grammar. Many mental health issue are brought about today as a result of the media we use today, and the relentless, latest must haves, along with a strange need to be popular, and be unnaturally beautiful. All this comes at a cost not only to a persons income, but the stress and strain of maintaining a particular life-style, and of course the destruction of this ancient planet we call 'ours' which it is not. These are massive issues on which I have my views, and this forum is not the place to air them.
Showing page 1 of 2