August forum challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Just in case any of you would like to get started over the weekend, here is a challenge for August: Take one subject and see how many different ways you can depict it. Over to you to see how you interpret this one. I absolutely love all the summer skies - keep them coming too! Just a heads-up that next month's gallery highlights newsletter will be a celebration of the first six months of forum challenges - make sure you are all signed up to receive it!
The clue is in the word challenge! Head scratching already... Tessa
Now then, this challenge will need some thought, but I'm already thinking - fish
Ah HA, now the the skies have cleared (not my subject), this challenge is wide open. The subject I'm choosing is 'LUURVE', or 'LOVE' if you want to be picky. Bags of scope there, and it can mean BIG LOVE or LITTLE LOVE...I promise not to get too smaltzy. I had some time today, and as it's cooled down, I've done two 'luurves' in my sketchbook. Here they are.... Now these challenges usually prompt 'some ones I did earlier', so I'm going to get mine in quick.... Sorry if you've seen them before, but it would have been a while back. No more 'ones I did earlier' from me, I'll do some more new stuff. Lew.
Maybe I'm wrong, Linda. The challenge says take 'one' subject and depict it several ways. My subject is 'love'. I suppose your subject could be anything...a dog...a haystack...it's the 'different ways' that's tricky. Ignoring my old pics...I've done two 'ways'... a stylised heart and a cartoon. Now I have to think of other 'ways.' I may be wrong, but as Mr Punch said...'that's the way to do it.' Slightly less confident Lew.
…. and don't forget, Fairy Tales, Anderson, a lovely subject, could take us anywhere :)
Lew, as always, you have a delightful display. I really do like the child gazing at those cakes... I wish :) Me, I'm always counting the calories :(

Edited
by carol

That "Clash of the Titans" love encounter made me shudder Lew, then laugh aloud. Brilliant. :laugh:
Mine are fashion based and yes, I'm using some from files as I have an absolute mountain of them Here goes: :hehe:
I'm not so sure now. Maybe I'm guilty of making the challenge fit what I want to do. I'm envisaging a set of different pictures in different styles where the 'theme' is love. Now I'm thinking Linda and Alan are right...you paint the 'same' picture in different styles. If so, it doesn't appeal and I'll be out of it. Perhaps when POL reads this thread they'll clarify. On the other hand, they may accept ALL our interpretations, and anything goes. That might make for an interesting set of pictures, but somehow I think that's not what's intended. So I'll hang fire before I do anything else. Lew.
Lew, I think you have read the challenge right, depicting a subject in different ways, you have the love theme, which could always include a pet looking adoringly at its owner, you have portrayed this variation so well with the boy and cakes.
Just a question that occurs: Why exactly does work have to be "new" to be shown on the gallery? I ask because, being a painting addict, I have painted/drawn so many pictures and sketches that I am now in slow-down mode. Not being a selling artist but someone who works purely for pleasure ( mine, and I assume other people's by exhibiting here), and this not being a selling exhibition market where advertising is discouraged, I see no useful reason to play by the sort of rules that govern newspaper and comic cartoonists and even book and film illustrators where by a sort of daily "to be continued" applies when in many cases no comments are made on items. My files even here are approaching 2000 items of work (some will be repeated in cases due to fading short-term memory) I don't want the pressure of having to produce "new" all the time. Nobody dies whatever appears in the gallery so I'm unlikely to be shot for posting this. I just like to paint freely and without pressure. Art is very strange (no new view there) . Some things we are eminently satisfied with pass by without comment yet things we consider unimportant get almost rave reviews. Amen. :hehe:
Showing page 1 of 3