Keeping a Sketch Book

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, Having just stepped into the world of oils, what is the benefit of keeping a Sketch book? And what info etc. Should I include apart from sketches in it. Like I mentioned, as I'm new to oils, I'd like as much help / info to start in the right direction. Many thanks Ian
A sketch book is a satisfying way of observing, recording ,enjoying the world around you ,I do mine because I try and enjoy the moment( sometimes difficult) . I have possibly 20 books even more ,I’ve lost count, they go back years. Memories,,reminders , the basis for the start of a painting. Mine are as important to me as any finished painting. Don’t make chord of one just enjoy it. ( you can always staple the naff pics together ) 🌻
I love sketchbooks. I came to them fairly late, previously I'd use scraps of paper that got lost. Now I have four on the go. There's one, a cheap book, that I use for noting down ideas quickly...these are little more than scribbles that mean something only to me. In the other books I do more finished work. These days I don't seem to have the time for 'proper' paintings, but no matter how busy you are you can always find the odd half hour or so for a sketch. It's worth having a sketchbook under way because it keeps you active art-wise, and the drawings in them will often prompt a painting. My sketches can be simple pencil or pen, I also use watercolor and water soluble colored pencils. If I look back over the past year, had I restricted myself to 'proper' paintings I doubt I'd have done more than half-a-dozen pictures...whereas, I've filled three sketchbooks. If you look on the net, sketchbook art has become almost a genre on it's own...with astonishing work being produced in them. So yes, keep a sketchbook. Lew.
I also carry sketch books in which I keep records of what I do and where I’ve been. In fact I don’t regard them as sketch books a but as sketch diaries. I make notes about what I’m doing where I am and what I’ve seen accompanied by numerous sketches. I can go back many years and the memories flood back when I open them. I also make notes about the scenes I’ve sketched (colours what inspires me etc) and often use them as source material for a painting.
Michael's 'sketch diaries' thought seems to be a growing thing. I like browsing sketchbooks on the net, and the 'diary' idea is pretty strong. Sometimes they are called 'sketch journals', and include photos and even bills pasted in them, like a collage. But always with drawings and notes, sometimes about color and even about how the person felt that day. I find them visually interesting. Haven't tried it yet. I guess how you use sketchbooks is as individual as the person making them. But they are definitely a good thing. Lew.
Thank goodness I’ve been a prolific sketcher over the years. No longer able to go out to draw and paint, my stock of old sketch books is providing me with a wealth of useable material and inspiration for painting in my studio. Mainly pages of simple quick scribbles, it’s surprising how useful these are, proving the point that you should always keep one handy - and use it daily! I’m currently working on a WIP for the e-newsletter, and have managed to work up a Spanish scene of the Alhambra using rough sketches and colour notes from one of my visits last year.
You’re never short of subject matter if you have sketch books completed over years as most of us seem to. I find I’m using mine more as time goes by, as material for paintings. As has been said, the work in your sketch books will bring back memories of where, when, and how you produced them. My tip is if you don’t also take a photo or two, at least make notes or add colour to your sketch.