I'm showing my work to the public.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
On Thursday I'm showing some of my work at a cafe in our town centre. They do an arts and open mic night once a month, and have asked me to come and show some of my work. I'm absolutely terrified about it! What if people hate it? I have never actually had true criticism face to face before, off people I dont know. Should i take a packet of tissues with me, for when I burst out crying? 😂
Well that’s great Jen, and a good step forward by getting the opportunity to display your work locally. Just enjoy the experience, people will love your work, no tissues necessary.
"Feel, the fear and do it anyway" - Nigel Mansell? Ayrton Senna? Someone like that. The first show is always the hardest. There will be nerves. It's a learning process and that includes learning how to deal with the artist's equivalent of Stage Fright.. My first solo concert - just the local pub one Wednesday lunchtime. - the nerves were getting to me and I almost cried off. People came up afterwards and said nice things. Nobody really goes to slag off your material and if they do then it says more about them than it does your material. Enjoy your show; the second will be a doozy.
A great opportunity, Jen, have a great time and don't worry, enjoy the moment :) As Tessa has mentioned, let us know how it goes
That's great news, Jen. Good for you! Where in Mid are you showing your work? I think it's perfectly natural to feel a little apprehensive and nervous about the prospect of showing your work for the first time. I'm sure you'll be just fine. All the best Bri
Of course we'd like to see them! Don't be nervous, get your stuff out there - I was very worried about my first exhibition, but found the sheer effort of mounting it in the first place was enough to still my creative fears! I don't exhibit any more, and wouldn't without someone to help me do the heavy work, but it's something you quickly get over. There was an artist who used to disguise himself and lurk about his own exhibitions making disparaging comments on the work - Lord help anyone who agreed with him.... Can't remember who that was now, but artists are a weird lot.
Good luck on he night, but I'm sure you won't need luck. Most people are usually positive and just ignore any unfair criticism. you can please some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time etc...
Wonderful...well done.
Is it you, Jen that has won a prize in the Jean Haines-Paint yourself Positive, comp?

Edited
by carol

You lucky girl, and well deserved, you chose a subject close to peoples hearts. The environment is a huge issue so glad to see this reflected in the choice of the judge. A huge congratulation. You're on a roll gal' go with it :) And thanks for sharing your gallery of pictures.