Driving Me Mad, this one

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I wonder if you wouldn't mind offering some constructive advice about where to go with this one. (no crude answers, please) The final version is where I'm up to but I'm just not sure about it at all. First attempt: Here's the second attempt Here's the third attempt:
Well...three hours have passed and no response yet. I've been waiting to see what the landscape painters say. I'm not a landscape painter. You are. This is already much better than I could manage. But here's my three-penneth, for what it's what. I'm confused by the 'sunburst.' What am I expecting to see? Either sunbeams OR all the clouds nearby lit from underneath. I'm not seeing sunbeams (you painted them so well in another painting, so maybe you aren't intending that), and I'm not seeing clouds lit from the sun. Near the top right of the 'sunlight' area there's a ray of light that appears to be at right-angles, it starts off going to the right and then 'appears' to turn left...I'm not explaining that very well, I wish I could mark it with a cross. Maybe you know what I mean. So for me, that jars. Maybe it's a case of reworking the clouds, and how the sun is effecting them. You oil painters can keep going and change things, something I'm not used to with watercolors. I'm sure you'll sort it. This is a fine painting and is worth a little extra trouble. Please don't act on what I say, the landscape people will help. All I can do is tell you what's confusing me. I'll watch with interest. Lew.
Had dinner - gin and tonic aperitifs - Bordeaux - goulash - cigar to follow ...... So the chances of my being able to comment this evening are small. Tomorrow, then! Hard to focus just now, you see.....
Sobered up, depressingly. What, me boy, is your problem? Other than that you're worrying away at this - take several stabs at it: paint a few different versions - even present it as a series and, if you can, sell the lot. But don't worry away at one painting and try to perfect it: all you'll do is worry it to death. Paint as many versions as you can in order to achieve the vision in your mind's eye -you know very well what will happen if you keep working on an image which isn't quite working for you: you'll flog it to death.
This is an uncropped version, which shows the painting quite well. The colours and mood are about right with this photo.

Edited
by Beemax

Thank you very much, Lew, for getting the ball rolling. I wasn't going for sunrays this time, you're quite right, but the sky was, and is, niggling away at me. I wondered about more ripples on the sea surface then rejected the idea, then thought about it again etc etc. I've noticed the photos are better in WIP, at least they show better than on the gallery, and I wonder if that's the route source of my dissatisfaction. I like it from a distance , but I paint like that anyway. Your comments are much appreciated and I'll take a close look at the sky soon. I'll post any revisions here in WIP. Bri Dark could well be the way forward, Sylvia, and it is something I've thought about. Good to get an opinion. Cheers! Bri I was toying with the idea of reducing the sky burst, so that's a very interesting suggestion, Tessa, very interesting indeed. There are things that I like and others that just see me twisting my face. Again, it's good to get another opinion. Thanks for that. Bri Your dinner sounds good to me, Robert, although I no longer smoke cigars, or anything for that matter. The G & T's, Bordeaux and Goulash make for excellent reading. *smile* It's actually the same painting but I've repainted parts of it a few times. The latest version is the last one, completed this morning. I see the sky is causing some concern and my mind was never far away from that very thing as it niggled away. I AM concerned about flogging it to death so your advice is well received. Thanks for that. Appreciated. Bri Many thanks to all, for the great response to my eternal dilemma. Very much appreciated. Bri

Edited
by Beemax

Bigger version if you click on the pic.
Leave it alone. It's your work and basically abstract so why explain it or try to make it happen? You painted it and unless you're prepared to accept it as is, you may as well paint over it. The mistake you made is not just in sticking it up and letting people see what they will rather than asking what you should do . I'm sure that's what would be a general reception to it. Stick it up on a white wall and get some reaction ; I'm sure it will be positive.
Is this oil or acrylic - or has that already been established? And whence the original image - is this something you've conjured up from memory or imagination, or a translation of a photograph? I think the reason you're struggling with it is that you're trying to interpret a natural phenomenon without actually having seen it, and are having to guess how the light might illumine the clouds and water. This is always going to be a difficult thing to do - and would drive anyone up the wall. In your place, I think I'd just stop being driven: I'd conclude I'd done all I could with this one and move on to the next: because you could adjust it still in so many ways if you wanted to, and still not get to wherever it is you want to be with it: are you even quite sure where that is? I.e. do you remember what your original vision was, or are you basically employing all your skills to try to make a painting conceived in the abstract 'come right'? 'Cause sometimes they do, and sometimes (probably more often) they don't. I do think this works, by the way - which is another reason to leave it alone before you're fed up with it.
Thanks, Jim, for the sage advice. Appreciated. The idea is a good one but it's the overall impact that's bothering me. I'm sure the quality of the photos isn't helping, although the latest pic isn't too far away. I'll think on it. Yes, the position of the sun was deliberate, Alan, although I did try to get it just off centre. I find myself becoming increasingly disenchanted with sunsets and I know exactly what you mean. Interestingly, I also like the reflections and you can't have one without the other. So I think I'll bring the cloud cover closer to reduce the burst, possibly turning it into a standard sunset, then darken the clouds to create a vague transitional point between sky and sea. I'll try, anyway. That gives me some focus. Thanks for that, and thanks for the encouragement. Ah, Linda, thanks for the thumbs up and for telling me the sections you liked. There IS a semi-abstract feel to the sky and colours, where I was attempting an exaggerated sunset, in the style of hyper without the realism. Does that make sense? The sea reflects that and yet it still bothers. I do like it in places, though. It's oil on canvas, 50 x 40 cms, Robert. I took my idea from a pixabay free image and tinkered about with the colours, but I've definitely overcooked the sky. Looking retrospectively I can see how it's too much but I have a devil of a time trying to avoid turning my yellows into greens as I blend. Consequently, I tend to apply quick strokes then leave it until it dries before continuing. I've one more revision to attempt, based on the opinions received thus far, and I'll see how things progress. You're right about the cul-de-sac of thought, though. I've wandered in with no obvious way of getting out. *lol* Still, there are parts of this I really like, so it's worth pursuing. Some great and very useful comments, there, folks, so once again thank you very much. Bri

Edited
by Beemax

Here's the latest revision, based on the replies and suggestions received so far. I've significantly darkened the cloud bank and reduced the sunburst, by dragging extra cloud cover in from the right and left, then added some extra highlights to the sky. Then I mixed a very dark blue, using Prussian blue and cad red, applying an extra layer to the thin waves. I also included some very fine lines to indicate tiny ripples on the surface to break things up in the foreground a bit; just a bit. I used the same "new" blue for the foreground pebbles and rocks and used it as a base colour for the new layers in the sky and sea. I did lighten it a bit, though, with a touch of titanium white. The photo's a bit grainy but it's close enough to give you a good impression. I don't like the "reduce noise" feature in Windows Photo Gallery. Anyway, I'm much happier with the sky and the painting in general and would like to thank each and everyone of you for the really good contributions. Bri
Thanks for dropping back in, Alan to comment on the revision. Delighted you liked it. Bri
Showing page 1 of 2