Perspective - books, etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Hello I would like to delve a bit deeper into the subject of perspective. As I like books as learning sources, I have identified a few that have had generally positive reviews. But I have been given excellent advice on the forum here before so I thought I better ask for your recommendations prior to spending any money. Any suggestions and tips are welcome. Thank you all in advance
Pat's right, there are gazillions of website tutorials on the subject of perspective and you can learn a lot without spending any money. When it comes to real books, lessons come in unexpected places; even "How to draw comics the Marvel way" includes sections on one-, two- and three-point perspective. Don't discount Charity shops - why pay £14.99 in WHSmiths when you can get the same lesson for a pound a few doors along the street?
Thank you for your tips. I had seen the results on the subject here on the website but the other two were new to me. I'll give them a try.
There's also Stan Smith, on Anatomy Perspective and Composition for the Artist - was published by Macdonald; I expect it's out of print, but there should be old copies, or maybe re-prints, about. I haven't read it for a while now, but perhaps I should again.... I remember it being a good course to work through.
I found a little book- The Thames and Hudson Manual - Rendering with pen and ink. Reproduction or representation of an architect's design in the form of a drawing of a building as it will appear, complete with accessory details such as trees, traffic and people, including shadows and reflection etc. This book dates back to 1979, so I don't know if it's still available. This lucky find £2.00. Well worth a search.

Edited
by carol

Once again, many thanks for all those great comments and tips. I am afraid I haven't been able to post for a couple of weeks due to a main phone cable having been cut but in the meantime I bought 'Understanding Perspective' by Giovanni Civardi. I have only just begun to work with it but it seems quite comprehensive and has had excellent reviews elsewhere.
I have 1. Pocket Art: Portrait Drawing 2. The Sketch Encyclopedia 3. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain I found these books best for me because I learned a lot from them, I bought them from back to school coupon code, these books are very helpful especially for beginners, I suggest you at least buy one from them I hope you will find much help.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Sorry Kathryn, but what has this to do with painting etc?, or is it an advertisement for some service or other.
I’ve reported it, irrelevant nonsense and is best ignored. 
Showing page 1 of 2