Bits and Pieces

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I thought I'd use this to talk about odds and ends that occur to me...hope it's of some interest. In recent years my idea of what sketchbooks are has taken a complete overhaul. I'd always used them for 'scribbles' and very rough, (sometimes almost undecipherable- even to me), visual notes never intended for the public gaze. If, like me, you look at art on the net, you'll see that isn't the case for everybody. Many artists sketchbook contain highly finished works, and have been described as 'mini art galleries.' I think they are wonderful and inspiring. First, here's a couple of my very old sketchbooks...really cheap, with rubbish paper...more or less OK for pencil and pen. The above is me scribbling ideas for characters, very loosely done, I've had to ramp up the contrast so you can see something. This must be ten years old. Below is another page...this time going about as far as I could on the crap paper. I was intending to do a series of pictures about a bunch of old blokes and what they got up to. I did use these sketches to make one picture (digital), but it was rubbish...so the idea died. At the bottom you can see me scribbling to 'find' faces. Below are a few pics of artists sketchbooks that have really opened my eyes...they may not be your 'thing', but I think they're fantastic. How I'd love to own one of these 'mini-galleries. Above....Anthony Van Arsdale sketchbook. Above...Daniel Zrom sketchbook (fantasy artist). Above...Kirby Rosannes sketchbook...this artist produces page after page of wonderfully inventive work. All this has had an effect on me...I have several sketchbooks on the go, with better paper than my examples above. Several of them I reserve for more finished work...although I still have a few 'scribble' books. Another thing I like about sketchbooks is that they come with their own built-in storage system...when full I stick them on the bookshelf. Do you use your sketchbooks for just 'scribbled' ideas or more finished works? (I know Sylvia posted some pics of sketchbooks at an exhibition, they looked great...I wish I'd had the steam to go and see them). Lew, (Sketchbook nut...no known cure.)
Good topic Lew and some of those are amazing. I have an absolute mountain of sketch pads/books, although I'd call them more drawing books as I've have some weird tastes, anythng from scribbles to small paintings I dug this one out from 4/5 years back, at dance class for our T.V moment of fame programme on the B.B.C. The sketch book is very small (6 inch x four) but the paper is decent quality. The portraits I did from mobile phone pics I took. There are lots more, but these will do.
They are great, Jim. The notion of doing more finished work in sketchbooks is relatively new to me. I've been doing it for the last 4 years. Prior to that it was scribbles, and when the books were full, I'd dump them. I have two books left from that era, simply because they aren't full and I may want to scribble in them again.
Yes and yes, methinks, Lew. There's a place for finished works in a sketchbook. There's also a need for a place where you can "sod it up" in style and it's ok; and a sketchbook is the perfect place for that. My sketchbooks contain all of that and everything in between. And ever more should it be so :-)
I like the idea of a themed sketchbook, Sylvia. I've only done it once...a book reserved for jokey portraits. Just finished that one...more sketchbooks ordered. I'll be doing more themes I think, it helps focus the mind. Alan's observation about having a place where you can 'sod it up' is a good one. I've done that in the books where the intention is more finished work, but I attempt to finish them...it doesn't seem to matter in a sketchbook, whereas, if I mess up a perfectly good piece of watercolor paper I get annoyed with myself.
That's great, Dixie. Drawing's my first love, I'd be quite happy if that's all I did. Lew.
Still on sketchbooks for the moment. I've posted a sketch of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. It sort of 'evolved' as many of my pics do. Last week my art group was doing 'trees'. I decided to draw a gnarled old tree from my imagination, it was going to be just pen. The trunk looked fine, but I struggled when it came to the foliage...easier with paint...for me, in ink, always a problem. I've seen some work where the artist draws all the leaves. I didn't want to do that. So I decided to use water-soluble graphite pencils to add a wash (HB, 4B and 8B). The pic below is as far as I got at the art group. About an hour and a half's work. I thought it was OK, but needed more foliage. And as the sketch had strayed onto the next page, I decided to add a figure to make it a two-page drawing. As my tree looked a bit 'Tolkien', I added a Gandalf figure. Here it is... I didn't want to copy the character from the film, but did use some reference material. As I mostly do cartoons and fantasy stuff, the majority of what I do is from my imagination...but occasionally I use references. (I don't want to get into the 'should you' - 'shouldn't you' copy stuff argument.) I found this interesting face on the net (see below), I didn't want to COPY it, I've just used some of the wrinkles and shading. I don't do this very often, when I do, I think the resulting image 'remains mine'...it isn't a copy. As you can see, my pic looks nothing like the gent above. It's just one way of using reference material, perhaps you do something similar. Lew.
Thanks Dixie, good luck with the sketchbooks, I'll interested to see how you get on.
I think sketching is an art form in itself and should be encouraged. Pictures often grow from sketched ideas, but what is a "finished" picture? Absolutely no wrong meant as we're all different, but I confess being puzzled when I hear of people preparing a painting. I may be the one in the wrong, because I'm retired now and obviously have more time than most, but I remember being amazed when our art teacher at school put up a sizeable oil painting a pupil had done as great painting, without stressing that that wasn't the only way to paint as skill levels and personal taste matter greatly. Since I paint only for my own pleasure and not for a living, I at least have the freedom to paint without worrying about "trends" decided by the chin-stroking, non-painting critics. Sketch on..😆
You are right Jim, perhaps 'finished' is the wrong word. Often when I post a picture I can see several more things I could have done to it. By 'more finished' I mean where I go beyond the scribbled idea, that's so roughly done that I can't always remember the thinking behind it.
I'm stuck! The moody blues, lack of mojo, black dog, turquoise tangerine...what ever you call it. Struggling to do stuff, and when I do it's naff. A lot of stuff going on at home, but I still should be able to knock something out. The rot started about two weeks ago. I'd just posted a pic, then thought 'I don't like that much', and deleted it. (Nobody had commented luckily). A couple of days later, another pic posted then deleted. What am I doing posting stuff that I don't like? Rubbish. I have to be more selective. Just can't get going. Also I haven't had so much time for POL, so not much in the way of comments, a few 'likes' here and there. Sorry about that. Trying to motivate myself...maybe some changes are due....here's my work space... ...a bit cramped, but it's served me OK so far. This 'studio' is in our conservatory. The blinds are pulled when the sun shines directly on my sketchbook. Maybe that's it. I need a new studio. Preferably in Paris.... overlooking the Folies Bergere...sorry, that should read 'Seine'. I don't think that's going to happen soon. On the table is my a3 sketchbook with a partially worked pic. It's been partially worked for days now, if sketchbooks can get peeved, this is peeved. It's six small pictures to a theme...done three...got stuck...watch the tennis instead...then watch Netflix. Sketchbook remains peeved. I sat down today and roughed out some quick thumbnail sketches...possible ideas (in case I forget them)....here they are (on a bit of typing paper). I post these confident that you'll have no idea what they are about. They take seconds to do, I'm sure everybody does this. Usually it sparks something. Today...nothing. I thought posting this might help shake me out of it. But it's no big deal, it's happened before. Lew. (Further bulletins will be issued from the palace.)
Yes Linda and Fiona, sorry you are temporarily becalmed at the moment. I thought I hadn't seen many posts by several regulars. As much as I love mythology I haven't heard of Odin's ravens. I'll have to look them up, maybe spend some time with mythology...it's interesting and often sparks something.
Showing page 1 of 2