Login / register

Profile Picture

Acrylic painting - varnish question

Posted By Duarte Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile

New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Hi!
I have been painting lately acrylic paintings on paper pre-prepared with gesso. I like that because it gives me a more "hard" surface to paint, scrap, sand the painting if I want. My question is because they will be displayed framed behind glass and also I wanted to varnish them, is this wrong? Is the varnish looked behind a glass visually will work and not be affected by the glare of the glass and the varnish at the same time or should the varnish be matte or satin, although I prefer using the glossy one? 
Thank you 
Marjorie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert

Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)Forum Expert (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Try it out on small examples, varnish with different varnishes, stick them ( not literally) behind glass and decide. Job's a good'un.
SylviaEvans
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you are putting any painting behind glass there isn’t any need to varnish it. The varnish acts as an enhancer and protector so the glass on its own does exactly that .

Sylvia.
landscapeart
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User

Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)

Some use varnish others don´t. Whatever you do never place your acrylics directly behind glass because the paint is likely to stick to the glass over time. So should you ever want to take the painting out of the frame fragments of the paint may come away and ruin your work.

All the best
Pat
website BLOG
SylviaEvans
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)

I suppose that’s relevant Pat if you don’t use a mount. But if you use a mount it’s not in direct contact.

Sylvia.
DavidG4YVM
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Should I varnish the acrylic portrait I did of my black lab? 
alanbickley
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 minutes ago
Varnishing an acrylic that is behind glass is totally pointless. You don't need to, so why add something to a painting that in years to come will probably need to come off after its turned brown. You definitely don't want gloss varnish under glass at any rate, that would be dreadful.

Frankly, I think varnishing any acrylic is pointless, but I know I'm in the minority on this one. Acrylic is such that it's easily wipeable, don't add anything that you don't need to.

What is the current obsession with adding varnish to everything, watercolours included? Perhaps it's in the hope of a miracle transformation!
Edited
Last Month by alanbickley
RobertJones
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Varnish helps to add a uniform coat, and enlivens the colours, which can go matte and duller after the water has evaporated.   But you can counteract that by using a medium - doesn't have to be high gloss.

I wouldn't varnish an acrylic that's intended to go under glass - the glass in that case would perform the function of varnish.  

And this does all depend on the acrylic you're using: an acrylic like Cryla, intended to be used thickly, has a rather pleasing duck-egg sheen when dry - and while I've varnished some of them, with others all I've needed to do is give them a rub down with plain water, perhaps with a bit of soap added, to lift the dirt off.  A thinner acrylic, on the other hand, often needs either varnishing or glass to protect it, because it's more vulnerable.  And yes, if under glass use a mount.