Profile Picture

Advice

Posted By Dixie Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
At the moment I'm not able to paint as we are undergoing electric rewireing, lots of dust etc. I am using the time to better my drawing skill something I used to do a lot. Earlier this year I was given some graphite sticks and am experimenting with them. The problem I find is they can be messy, and smudge easily, what can I used to fix the finished drawing. Someone has suggested hair spray, l'd look silly buying some as I have very little hair, does it work? On the drawing I mean.
Paul.

Dixie
alanbickley
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 17 minutes ago
Forget hair spray Paul, it's not right for the job and will certainly go yellow in no time.

Use a pastel fixative from an art supplier, this will sort out any issues with charcoal, pastel and other medium of that nature. I've used all brands but the one I use at the moment is Frisk.
RobertJones
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Agree with Alan, don't use hairspray.  Fixative is a mite expensive, but a lot safer than the product I use to control my wayward and plentiful locks.  There are several different types, labelled fixative but not necessarily pastel fixative.   Some of them do have a bit of a whiff (as indeed can hairspray) - I need to either wear a mask of hold a cloth over my nose and mouth when spraying, because I tend to wheeze otherwise.  At least have a window open, or spray outside, if that is likely to affect you.  
alanbickley
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)Respected User (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 17 minutes ago
It is powerful stuff and you definitely need to go outside if you can, you wouldn't want to breath it in.

Use sparingly and just a quick light spray, applying a second one if it needs it. Yes it is expensive I suppose, this Frisk make is competitive in price, and a well known brand name.
Dixie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)

Thank you Alan and Robert for the product advice and the safety notes. I have enough respiratory problems without additional help from chemicals. I thought hairspray was a bit odd and wanted advice from those in the know, will pop off to the cart supplier.

Dixie
landscapeart
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User

Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)Esteemed User (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Remember the varnish goes everywhere. Make sure there is nothing near the painting which you do not want covered in varnish.

All the best
Pat
website BLOG
Dixie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Thanks Pat I think I will wait for a dry calm day and spray it outside. Sounds quite nasty stuff , the thing we do for our art.

Dixie
Hedgehog
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)

If you really want chapter and verse on fixatives, have a look at the Jacksons blog on the subject.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2014/08/29/fixatives-are-not-all-the-same/

Alan Morris
johndpetty
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)Forum Member + (203 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The Jacko’s info is comprehensive but deals only with aerosols. I prefer to a non-aerosol liquid fixative applied with a diffuser. I work with both graphite and pastels and use Lukas fixative from Great Art. I buy it by the litre as I keep a small bottle in the car with my sketching kit and also use it for ‘finished’ work. In the long-run it’s cheaper than aerosols unless your venture into drawing is only temporary when the aerosol would be a more sensible option.

I’ve also used a dilute acrylic medium on large graphite drawings and it gives a certain surface quality that I like. Takes a lot of puff to cover a five-feet square drawing though.
Hedgehog
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)Forum Member (83 reputation)

I have tried using a diffuser, but never got on with it as I found i got uneven splatters rather than an even spray. Probably not enough puff!

Alan Morris
Dixie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Thank you all for your response, some very good and sound advice. I will go for spray as I don't do that much work that I would need a larger amount. The forum is so valuable when needing advice etc, I'm sure other people have questions but are a bit shy of asking, go ahead and ask. No one will think you are silly for not knowing, there is a wealth of knowledge available and others will gain from your asking.

Dixie