Painting Style

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to the world of painting and would like to learn styles and techniques similar to this painting. Would anyone be able to identify this style of painting to help me in my research? Thanks in advance, Emmanuel
Well there’s ambitious Enmmanuel. Might I suggest you find your own style rather than emulating anyone else. Learn to paint, learn to draw, . Observation , practise and emotion. Enjoy .
The painting you show above is a classic oil, in the representational tradition. It will - as has been said - take you a long while to reach that level of proficiency (unless perhaps you have enormous natural talent! And some have: I have seen it; very, very rarely, but it happens). To achieve such a standard today would tax all of us, because the training for such artists has changed, and to a great extent deteriorated; and the paint has changed too - it's probable that this picture was built up in carefully applied transparent glazes over a lead-white painted base. But I can't really tell that from a photograph: I'd be able to if I could get up close to it. If you would like to learn how to paint in that sort of style, then I should try to lay your hands on a copy of Traditional Oil Painting, by Virgil Elliot: a US-based artist whose book has just been re-published in America. You will then find a series of problems as you try to find lead-based whites: depending on where you live, this could be very difficult. But you could try using something called Alkyd Titanium White, to help with some aspects of it at least. There are other ways of painting, including the Impressionist tradition - and if you would like to paint like that, then Vibrant Oils by Haidee-Jo Summers (who contributes here now and then) would be a good start. But I agree with the rest - just paint; search for your own style, and let it develop naturally; read a lot when you aren't painting; watch videos, but please not Bob Ross who will take you nowhere, or William Alexander. You could do worse than watch the online videos by Kevin Hill - but whatever you do, do it your own way.
more practice, more hard work will make you a great artist so plz keep working hard.