Places to visit near Moffat

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi everyone, I'm really looking forward to my summer holiday next month in Moffat. Is there any arty places you would say are must sees, whilst we are there? I don't know the area at all. Thanks, Dawn
Um..... where's Moffat? (I did get a GCE in Geography, but unfortunately that was 51 years ago.)
There's plenty to do around Moffat. If landscapes are your thing, head north-east along the A708 and there's Grey Mare's Tail, a scenic waterfall, and a bit further along St Mary's Loch. A narrow road to the north goes past Megget and Talla reservoirs and has lovely green hillsides. there are also loads of footpaths if you want to get away from the roads. Moffat itself is good for urban sketching, the High Street as a few interesting sites. Head north-west to the small villages of Wanlockhead and Leadhills (currently in dispute over which is the highest) for nice scenery, lovely buildings and some mining history. Sanquhar is also nice, it has an old ruined castle and some lovely old trees and the world's oldest post office. You're also not far from Melrose (the old abbey is worth a look), Langholm is quite scenic too.

Edited
by Triduana