Profile Picture

Places to visit near Moffat

Posted By DawnFH 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Hi everyone, I'm really looking forward to my summer holiday next month in Moffat. Is there any arty places you would say are must sees, whilst we are there? I don't know the area at all.
Thanks, Dawn
RobertJones
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)Prestige User (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Um..... where's Moffat?  (I did get a GCE in Geography, but unfortunately that was 51 years ago.)
SylviaEvans
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Mmmm sorry to be negative but spent a miserable 24 hours in Moffat so cannot be of use re arty places. But you can be out and about with your sketchbook it is Bonnie Scotland after all. Please prove me wrong and have a wonderful time .

Sylvia.
DawnFH
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)

Oh dear, that's not very promising. I'll definitely be taking some art materials with me anyway.
fionap4
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Hi Dawn, I was in Moffat about a month ago, a lovely old town with some great little shops. A couple of galleries, antique shops and the biggest old fashioned sweetie shop I’ve ever seen!
On the art front, depends how far you want to travel from Moffat itself. Edinburgh is an hour north of Moffat, you have the national galleries....not sure who’s exhibiting next month but you will get that info on their website.
There are also places like Langholm, Thornhill, Dumfries with local artists galleries which are within an hours traveling. If you want to go that wee bit further there is also the artists town of Kirkcudbright which is packed with galleries....especially the newly refurbished town gallery, great permenant exhibition of work from the likes of Peploe, Faed family, Oppenheimer, Jessie M King, Copeland, Lena Alexander. There is also the home of Hornel, Broughton house which is open to the public, in Kirkcudbright.....with an artist in residence, one of the finalist of the sky portrait of the year, can’t remember his name.....and I met him yesterday! Derrrr.
Kirkcudbright was made famous by the Glasgow boys....and girls...who’s influence you can see around the town.
It’s the spring fling weekend this weekend, if you can manage to look up this year’s events on your computer it will give you information on the local artists. Or, if you mail me your address I can send you the booklet, which I still have.
If you want any other info ref the area, mail me, hope this helps.
Fiona
DawnFH
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Thank you, Fiona. I will email you x
SylviaEvans
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Prestige User

Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)Prestige User (6.2K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I knew I was wrong. Funny how events colour your impressions of a place.

Sylvia.
maggyn
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Fiona has made some great suggestions. I have passed through Moffat but don't know it. If you want to see some paintings of the Borders, look up William Gillies - though don't know if any near Moffat. Further afield are Peebles, Biggar, Dawyck Botanic Garden (impressive) and further again New Lanark. Also lots of other towns and villages in the Borders though some may be too far away on interesting roads. Hope you have a great time.
Maggy
DawnFH
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Thank you, Maggie. I will have a look.
Triduana
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)Forum Member + (207 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There's plenty to do around Moffat. If landscapes are your thing, head north-east along the A708 and there's Grey Mare's Tail, a scenic waterfall, and a bit further along St Mary's Loch. A narrow road to the north goes past Megget and Talla reservoirs and has lovely green hillsides.  there are also loads of footpaths if you want to get away from the roads. Moffat itself is good for urban sketching, the High Street as a few interesting sites.  Head north-west to the small villages of Wanlockhead and Leadhills (currently in dispute over which is the highest) for nice scenery, lovely buildings and some mining history.  Sanquhar is also nice, it has an old ruined castle and some lovely old trees and the world's oldest post office. You're also not far from Melrose (the old abbey is worth a look), Langholm is quite scenic too. 
Edited
2 Months Ago by Triduana
DawnFH
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Sounds terrific Triduana.
fionap4
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Oopps.....did I get the wrong end of the stick Dawn? After reading Triduana’s reply, I think I did.....I thought you wanted info on galleries etc.....sorry! Lol
DawnFH
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Hi Fiona, I am having got any art related suggestions for Moffat and surrounding areas, so thank you. If anyone wants to through in other ways to spend our hold of places to eat that would be fine too😄