June forum challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
No more dotty gardens coming in so I thought I should set a challenge for June. This month try painting a colourful object or scene in monochrome - look forward to seeing how you get on!
Ah yes! That's more interesting, for me anyway. A chance to exploit tonal values, nice one Dawn.
Since I've recently done one, I'll submit that. Hope it's acceptable. From the old T.V series, The Flame Trees of Thika with Hayley Mills.
Worry not Lesley, I don't have copyright on horses...😆
I like this challenge and will have to get round to entering something. The only monochromes I still have were done plein air, I'll have to see if I can find them.
People are out of the blocks quickly on this one. Great stuff. Egg Tempera, Alan? Intriguing, never tried it, but always impressed by the results. Looking fantastic now, I'll keep an eye out for the finished work. I went to my art group this afternoon...free subject day...so I did this monochrome sketch. (about an hour and a half). Supposed to be Don Quihote after his battle with the Windmills. It's all Inktense 'Bright Blue' pencil...and water of course. Needs more work, but it's just a sketch, so this is it. Might do something else...I often work in monochrome.
Hi, new member here so please be gentle with me! I like the sound of this challenge, can I join in?
I have done quite a few monochrome over the years but tried this one as the original photo was full of bright colours. White coloured pencil on black paper. The Gondolier.
Another one done this year. "Into the mist". One spectrum blue coloured pencil on white paper. Dorothy Wilson
My quick and rather rough effort. A4 grey paper, black and white gouache plus a couple of grey tints. The paper acted as a third grey! Simple made up seascape.
. Black acrylic ink and diluted to make two shades of grey, plus a splash of white gouache. A4 Grey paper which gave me a third tonal grey (always useful!). From my own photo, taken during my recent visit to the RA. So much inspiration for an artist around the Thames, you just never get bored! Great challenge this, will be doing a third one shortly, Tower Bridge will feature in that one. I often take photographs as a back-up, but I also managed a few dozen sketches on my long weekend trip. These are too ‘rough’ to share, but great for inspiration and to work from back in the studio.

Edited
by alanbickley

Worked well Alan. Oh to have the gift of time. Hoping to go up into our high hills tomorrow so might try to do one there.
Showing page 1 of 2