Profile Picture

An arty question?

Posted By Wanderer69 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Back in time I dabbled briefly in antiques and art and, at that time a mandate was "never buy religious or moonlight scenes" in paint or print, but that was long a go. I think perusing the Gallery and viewing the assorted subjects and topics might have prompted this, but it made me wonder just what sort of art people actually buy to hang on their walls at home today? The question may not even be answerable without research, but I still wonder. There is obviously a positive case for old master/famous scene reproductions and prints of etc, amongst art lovers (my own is Sir William Russell Flint of which I have eight or ten framed and four on my walls) and a section of family and friend, pets and children portraits etc have a market segment for many, but in terms of what you actually are happy to see day after day in your homes, as opposed to what you admire in museums and art galleries, how much does the question affect choice amongst the buying public? 

I appreciate coming across something that immediately takes the fancy, sometimes for unexplainable reasons, that make one want to own it other than who painted it etc,  is a factor and that few actually set out with the sole intent of buying art as the main shopping priority. I doubt any answer will be a total one as we paint our own much diverse subjects and topics, but the reasons for what motivates us must have an object other than personal likes. In fairness, few painters,artists etc copy trends in this subjects being a bit more selective than "because Mrs Jones has Van Gogh's Sunflowers or Constable's Flatford Mill or Haywain" , or what Debenhams etc, have on sale. That's for the non-painting Joe public market and if anyone has a painting of David Beckham or Madonna hung on their anaglipta, then they should be hung alongside them. :hehe:

I'd be happy to hear a few views on this (probably been done before of course). 
DavidG4YVM
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Respected User

Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)Respected User (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Wanderer69 (5/21/2019)

I appreciate coming across something that immediately takes the fancy, sometimes for unexplainable reasons, that make one want to own it other than who painted it etc,  is a factor  

It is for me the ONLY factor.The inexplicable factor, the 'thing', the 'sigma' that is art.  It could be moonlight, it could be religious, it could be anything, but if it always makes the hairs stand up and encourages me to go deeper into the picture, it deserves a place on the wall.

I would resist immensely the urge to buy a print of an old master, especially one of those prints of posters of prints of old masters  advertising galleries etc.  I would never give wall space to a picture simply because it was painted by 'so and so' (perhaps I might if he / she did the same for one of mine).

TonyAuffret
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)Forum Member (98 reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
My art print history, according to what has been hung on my walls over the years is Goeneutte, Morisot, Sisley and Edward Hopper.  A snow scene, a harbour scene, a river bank and a seascape.  Probably makes me a fickle sucker for lesser known impressionists, but no particular subject, other than some form of landscape. Generally it is primarily an artist that I like, and then focussing on a particular painting..  These have been interspersed with the odd original, mainly but not exclusively my own, which tend to be on the walls in 'other rooms' and probably on the basis that they are they only walls they will ever grace.
fionap4
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)Forum Member + (287 reputation)

Blimey that’s a difficult one Wanderer......like yourself I’ve always been a collector of antiques, or anything old really and that includes paintings. I went through the traditional painting and print phase years ago, of lithographs of Highland cattle and hunting scenes etc, of the late nineteenth century...which are all in the attic now. I now have an eclectic mix of whatever catches my eye, paintings I can’t stop looking at.
I have quite a few paintings by members of paintersonline gallery, I have a couple of my own, a pastel and a mono-print.
My last purchase, two lithograph prints from the Netherlands museum, who hold the originals of.....The waterfall in the garden of the hospital where Van Gogh spent some time the year before he died, in ink, and The Peasant Digging, in pencil and ink. I can’t help but stand in front of them and just look and stare! They cost me a fortune.....£5 for the pair at a local car-boot, she wanted £6!
I’ve got my eye on a mono print by Robert Colquhoun next.......I’m saving up!
alang23
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert

Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)Forum Expert (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Tough question. I don't buy art to put on the walls here in the house, but I have a number of my own sketches on display in my guitar-teaching studio. Her Ladyship, on the other hand, bought a very nice Tuscan landscape a few years back and that's on the lounge wall, along with a strange print with daubs of real paint on it which she got from who knows where. Otherwise, it's mostly photos pf places we've been

Lew
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert

Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)Forum Expert (702 reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
In the past I've had quite a few prints of artists whose work has fired my interest.  In our previous home (much bigger than my present one), I had prints by Renoir, Lautrec, Alphonse Mucha, Tamara de Lempika, and Arthur Rackham.  I admire Renior's earlier work such as his 'Dance at Bougival'...I saw the original in Boston, was stunned by it, and bought a print.  I had these prints on the walls for many years, until they literally faded away.  Now in a smaller place, I mostly have my pics on the walls, and rotate these images regularly.  I also have several paintings by one of my sons.  These days, with the internet, I've built up a library of art on my PC that I constantly look at.  I love art books and have many well-thumbed, much-loved books on inspiring artists...like Rackham.  
I haven't bought a print for a while, but if something really caught my eye I'd find room for it.
Stub
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)Forum Member + (567 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
For many years I bought Victorian or early 20th century watercolours of marine scenes by artists from the Yorkshire coast especially the Staithes Group, such as Frank Mason, the Dade brothers, Harry Wanless, H B Carter and others. These I supplemented with contemporary pictures from well known local artists such as Jack Rigg and Don Micklethwaite. But time passes and things change, I now go for contemporary loosely painted oil/acrylic paintings of landscape and marine scenes including some abstracts. Interesting how tastes change?

Peter Davison (Stub)
Edited
2 Months Ago by Stub
maggyn
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)Forum Member + (122 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Interesting topic. We have an eclectic mix of stuff that has caught the eyes of at least one of us. Nothing valuable and nobody well known - ranges from one of my paintings and one of my husband's photos to a vietmanese painting we got on holiday a few years ago (in Scotland). Mostly small prints/paintings bought from local artists at open workshops/galleries when on holiday - tendency towards seascapes/nature but also mixed media abstract - often folk we know or have at least met. No famous prints.
DawnFH
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)Forum Member + (222 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
As a small child, we were very poor and my bedroom was decorated by a tiny strip of wallpaper around the top of the ceiling left by the previous owners.it featured ballet dancers and I loved that tiny strip of wallpaper. When I saw Degas for the first time, I fell in love with his dancers so a print of the blue dancers takes pride of place in my art room. Other than that, I display charity shop finds and a South African painting of jacaranda trees I got at a boot fair, plus a few of my own pieces.
Wanderer69
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)Forum Member + (440 reputation)

Such interesting answers that I'm glad I asked.

Maybe extending it a little could prove just as interesting: If you had to choose only something of your own to hang up, what would it be? Let's go grand and say in an exhibition....  I'll hold back my own answers for now, but....what would yours be? Maybe choose two..? 
Edited
2 Months Ago by Wanderer69
Dixie
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member

Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)Forum Member (68 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
We never had anything on the walls as my parents, then I lived in Married Quarters. Any damage had to be paid for or repaired that included holes left from picture hanging. Since living in our own home for the past 30 year we still don't have many, photos of kids and grandchildren. We have four painting throughout the house all done by me, but not chosen by me. My wife is my worst critic and only the ones she likes are displayed. Oddly two of the paintings I'm not over keen on.

Dixie
Wanderer69
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Member +

Dixie (5/27/2019)
We never had anything on the walls as my parents, then I lived in Married Quarters. Any damage had to be paid for or repaired that included holes left from picture hanging. Since living in our own home for the past 30 year we still don't have many, photos of kids and grandchildren. We have four painting throughout the house all done by me, but not chosen by me. My wife is my worst critic and only the ones she likes are displayed. Oddly two of the paintings I'm not over keen on.

There's a thought Dixie. Not to be boring or controversial, or wander off topic, but as staunch Catholics my parents had two paintings of Jesus on our walls as kids. One was a long landscape of him looking over Jerusalem. When my grandma died we also inherited statues of Jesus and Mary under glass globes on the sideboard. Sign of the times I suppose as such are rarely seen today. I do have a screensaver of the magnificent ( if such a word can be applied to the topic) Notre Dame bronze crucifixion statue on my home monitor. It's fantastic art as well as totally personal.