A non-yellowing varnish for oils.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
For year’s now, I’ve been unable to find a good varnish for my oil paintings. I’ve tried the lot, or thought I had, and the results have been less than pleasing. We all know that most of the branded varnishes out there, including top brands such as W&N, undoubtedly contain elements that will yellow with age, often after just 25 years or so. Damar, or Dammar varnish as it is sometimes spelt is probably the worst offender when it comes to yellowing. So, with an oil painting accepted for this years TAPC Open, I was determined to find something different, and I may have come up with the answer. It’s from the well established company Gamblin, and is their non-yellowing picture varnish Gamvar. Well that’s pretty much what they claim, and it’s also easy to remove at a later date, should that be necessary! The other brands are a nightmare to remove, I have experience on that score! I’ve bought the Gamvar Matte varnish from Jackson’s Art, and have just been experimenting on some finished paintings that I don’t like (and I don’t have any shortage of those!). I’ve bought a 50mm flat varnish brush as suggested and applied the first coat sparingly. There is a Gamblin video showing how it should be applied, more of a sort of scumbling action using the edge of the flat brush. I must say that I do like the result, a lovely even flat non reflective surface, not at all shiny, I hate shiny oil paintings. The W&N matte does come out a bit shiny. I’ll give it another coat in the morning, and then all being well, if it hasn’t fetched off the oil paint underneath, I will proceed to varnish my exhibition entry. Some of you may well be familiar with this product, Robert will of course, he may have tried it. Just thought it may be of interest to a few of you out there.
I’ve been using this for several years. Excellent product as are all Gamblin products. I recommend thinning it slightly with Gamsol for the first application. I use the gloss, but have not found it to be too shiny. I also use some of there painting mediums too. Gamblin also have good environmental credentials too. Alan Morris
I haven't, as yet, branched out and varnished any of my oil painting efforts, but I must say I am seriously thinking of entering one or two competitions next year, so this is a useful bit of information, Alan, Thanks.

Edited
by carol

What type of canvas would be suitable for entering the TAPC competition? A few days ago I received an A3 smooth, heavy cartridge paper its from a maker named Seawhite of Brighton, at Amazon, under ten pounds, free delivery. Its is very thick, lovely and white, it takes fineliner pens, ink, watercolour, and lovely for pencil work. To me, it has the feel and similar usage of a HP paper. Yesterday I ordered some of their Bristol Board, same size just over ten pounds, free delivery. if its as good as the above, happy days. These papers can be quite expensive at this size, so, thought I'd just let you know, in case you haven't heard about this maker.

Edited
by carol

Thanks for the information on the canvases, I like the Talens, products, I'll give this a try, Alan. The weight of the paper is 220 gms - 135lb, It is very card - like, I was very pleased when I felt the smoothness, and quality of the paper. I did a few medium ditties on a sheet and left a review for this size paper.
Gamblin, to revert a bit to the beginning of the thread, which I missed at the time through being a bit ill, is a very interesting manufacturer - one of the few that will engage intelligently with you online: for most companies, certainly now, you get the sales team, who know nothing about the product. There's a suggestion from the company that Gamvar is a varnish that can be applied when the paint is skin-dry. I doubt that this is a good practice, although they've researched it and I trust their honesty if not necessarily their conclusion; there's an interesting on-going argument between the company and Virgil Elliott, US painter and writer - he's researched oil paint for decades, and isn't convinced by Gamvar as a varnish it's advisable to apply early, i.e. before 6 months to a year. But his view is that if you DO apply it earlier than that, which you shouldn't do with any other varnish (and possibly not with this one..) ensure you've painted thinly, on a rigid panel; not thickly, on stretched canvas. I wouldn't use any varnish before around 8 months, my usual standard, have elapsed; but of course - s'up to you. I certainly agree about avoiding Dammar - you can only remove it with genuine Turpentine, it does yellow; on the other hand, it provides a high-gloss finish (for those who like that: I know Alan doesn't!) and is otherwise a tough varnish, resistant to damage other than yellowing. I tend to use a ketone-based varnish at the moment, though, running out of it, am considering future options. One point while I'm here - don't paint over varnish... there are those who say you can apply retouching varnish to liven up a passage, and then paint over that. And of course, you CAN. You can also drink neat bleach - once. But bearing in mind that cleaning dirty varnish away is sometimes necessary - what do you think is going to happen to layers of paint sitting on a film of removable varnish if you start applying solvents to it?
For year’s now, I’ve been unable to find a good varnish for my oil paintings. I’ve tried the lot, or thought I had, and the results have been less than pleasing. We all know that most of the branded varnishes out there, including top brands such as W&N, undoubtedly contain elements that will yellow with age, often after just 25 years or so. Damar, or Dammar varnish as it is sometimes spelt is probably the worst offender when it comes to yellowing. So, with an oil painting accepted for this years TAPC Open, I was determined to find something different, and I may have come up with the answer. It’s from the well established company Gamblin, and is their non-yellowing picture varnish Gamvar. Well that’s pretty much what they claim, and it’s also easy to remove at a later date, should that be necessary! The other brands are a nightmare to remove, I have experience on that score! I’ve bought the Gamvar Matte varnish from Jackson’s Art, and have just been experimenting on some finished paintings that I don’t like (and I don’t have any shortage of those!). I’ve bought a 50mm flat varnish brush as suggested and applied the first coat sparingly. There is a Gamblin video showing how it should be applied, more of a sort of scumbling action using the edge of the flat brush. I must say that I do like the result, a lovely even flat non reflective surface, not at all shiny, I hate shiny oil paintings. The W&N matte does come out a bit shiny. I’ll give it another coat in the morning, and then all being well, if it hasn’t fetched off the oil paint underneath, I will proceed to varnish my exhibition entry. Some of you may well be familiar with this product, Robert will of course, he may have tried it. Just thought it may be of interest to a few of you out there.
Alan Bickley on 18/05/2019 12:06:28
Thanks Alan - just the advice I was looking for- even though I’m four years late…….
Have you come and gone and come again, Rachel?  If so, welcome back. Yes, Gamvar is a reputable varnish - I still say wait for at least 6 months before applying it - and if you want the latest and most comprehensive recommendations on varnishes, try Natural Pigments (Europe) - full disclosure, they are linked to the Rublev oil paint manufacturers: but then - that's an excellent paint (that takes some getting used to, because they don't add fillers and stabilizers - one for those who sell their work fairly reliably, really).  I'll try to find a reliable link to varnishing advice - I say "try", because I'm suffering from a sort of gastric 'flu at the moment: does tend to take your mind off things.... 
Have you come and gone and come again, Rachel?  If so, welcome back. Yes, Gamvar is a reputable varnish - I still say wait for at least 6 months before applying it - and if you want the latest and most comprehensive recommendations on varnishes, try Natural Pigments (Europe) - full disclosure, they are linked to the Rublev oil paint manufacturers: but then - that's an excellent paint (that takes some getting used to, because they don't add fillers and stabilizers - one for those who sell their work fairly reliably, really).  I'll try to find a reliable link to varnishing advice - I say "try", because I'm suffering from a sort of gastric 'flu at the moment: does tend to take your mind off things.... 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 04/12/2023 10:20:25
Hope you feel better soon, bud.  A cheaper varnish, not artists, is Polyvine. Jackson’s sold it at one time. It’s an expensive decorators varnish, but still a lot cheaper than art stuff. You can use it to stiffen fabric too, apparently. Probably a great varnish for acrylic if watching your pennies. There is a great deal of stuff you can do cheaply if you research. I’m lucky, as I’m a professional decorator, so I know what will be a close second to recognised art products. Cheap cheap cheap, without killing your hard work. From shellac to dryers, been using em for yars and yars!