Taking for granted

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Having just spent a great day in Oxford avoiding the shops apart from getting the bus back to the park and ride, I again realize what's great looking place it is in the back streets . Started at the botanical gardens,and the wove our way into the city via the back streets looking at the buildings, fortunately I have a very large S D card for the photos I took. Coming home I started to thing how we have a tendency to take our local area for granted, I only live 20 miles away. I remember doing the same thing when living overseas. I have enough shots to paint for years but will probably only do one or two. I would advocate having a fresh look around you before dismissing what in front of you,if I make sence. What helped was explaining couple of buildings to a German couple on their first visit.
Sounds like you had a good and productive day Dixie. Not sure if you’d be interested but there is an Oxford Urban Sketchers group ( look them up on Facebook). I haven’t been yet but they have regular meet ups usually around the centre of Oxford. It’s certainly a fascinating city for painting. Tessa
Now you are viewing with new eyes, Dixie, go one step forward again and have a good look at what is growing within that environment, on your peripheral vision, the small unnoticed natural life, that will give your work that little extra.
I think it is easy to overlook the commonplace scenes on your doorstep. If you have a garden you should need go no further if you don't want to work in the public gaze. I have painted outdoors for years and have never had any bother, even kind remarks when matters were not going well on the canvas, Give it a try and you will probably be surprised.