Spoiling art with copyright notices

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Why, I ask myself, do people post images to the gallery which are spoilt by having a copyright notice plastered across them. If they are that worried about copyright then don't post on an open site. If they genuinely want feedback, which I doubt, then why slap a hugely distracting notice across the image? It is free advertising of course, but the ridiculous thing about this morning's spoilt posting is that I can go onto the artists website and download the image without the copyright banner.
I've often wondered this. A bit of self aggrandising maybe or perhaps they've been ripped off before. Doesnt quitw fit the point of POL though.
As you said David, maybe they've been burned before. I post all my stuff small/low res so it's useless for print anyway, and I've never bothered watermarking it, but can completely understand why some would do so.
P'raps when we comment we should say "Nice painting, but spoiled by the copyright notice" :-)
Think I'll paint an abstract with the word 'Copyright' as part of the design. Problem solved.
You don't have to state that a painting or poem is copyrighted. The artist/author is the legal holder of the copyright the moment he/she puts brush or pen to paper. However, applying this "right" is a thornier proposition than you might suppose. Movies are copyrighted in their entirety, unless a waver is active, but they tend not to object to small scale operations . Lots of grey areas, though. If an image is in the public domain, like on a stamp, the laws vary from country to country. Use your own images or imagination to be on the safe side. All landscapes, for example, can be used as a reference, mainly because nobody owns a mountain or lake etc, but the exact image can not be used without permission. Bri
China isn't a signatory to the world copyright convention anyway, so far as I know - so there's very little to be done to protect your artwork from Chinese copyists or outright fraudsters, other than sue if their products are sold in countries outside of China: and even then, presumably you might catch the dealers, but not the people producing it.