Painting with Horse Manure

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello. I have an idea to paint a portrait of David Cameron. However, I would want to use horse manure instead of paint. Does anyone have any practical experience of using such a medium?
Chris Offili used elephant dung...
Ofili included elephant dung in one of his paintings; he didn't use it as the sole or main medium. Drawn as I am to your interpretation of David Cameron, I can't really endorse any method of creativity using dung - if you're going to collect dung, and Heaven knows, we all need a hobby, use it to help make lead white oil paint: then I'll buy the paint, but not the dung, from you. Without wishing to get anything like as political as I think you're being, but being a bit political anyway, I should be inclined to fashion a Cameron out of plastic, or some form of latex - truer to life. If I could think of a material which was otherwise entirely useless for any other purpose, I would recommend that. But in saying so, I shall get into just as much trouble as you will when our less politically radical members see this exchange.
One point to consider which seems to worry a lot of folk here on POL (but not so much me) : is horse dung lightfast?
I wouldn't bother. You can render Cameron's plastic features - if you really feel you must - in any number of conventional media.
if you decide to go ahead I have a ready supply of well rotted horse manure, great for our garden but you are welcome to collect a bag or two although I have to say I think it would be wasted on David Cameron.