Another friend's dog

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Just been asked to paint fido...so why not. Watercolour pencils on 300gm bockingford from w h Smith
Looking good David. Just check the line of the top of the head with the position of the ears. Plus the width across the top of the nose. Call me pedantic but those littl things are sometimes missed when you are concentrating too hard.
Thanks Sylvia. Spot on. My usual technique is to stand this on an easel now for a day or two, maybe more, and just look at it from afar and soak it in. These details then start to show themselves. But thanks for the critique. I can still fix them I think .Seems to me the distance between eyes and top of head I have drawn too small, so fixing head shape and distance should be OK. Just add more head. I cant really see the nose width issue you mention...just can't see it. I'll keep looking. D

Edited
by DavidG4YVM

Aghhh ruined it. Time to start again...thankfully I hadn't got too far in. I tried to adjust the head but it changed he character of the little dog totally. Whatever the photo looked like, the painting looked like it was right, it had his character. I adjusted the forehead and suddenly, voila! It was a different doggy completely. It now sports an indelible cross right through it to kill temptation. I shall start again after easter. Practice is never wasted. D
An right. Well, I shall start over and see what transpires. I don't mind, it's all a learning process and every little helps. My painting also has him looking UP more than the photo, which isnt a bad thing but it's not what I tried for. I think it's because the amount of face visible just above the nose is too thin. It could also be because I haven't finished it and the throat is too light still. I also find the use of watercolour pencils thoroughly enjoyable so its hardly a penance😊 Thanks Sylvia

Edited
by DavidG4YVM

Sorry you dumped it, David. I thought it was looking good. I'd thought the minor errors in proportion were correctable, but it's your image so you know best. I like watercolour pencils too, and many users on this site get good results for fur, so I look forward to your next effort. I guess dumping pictures is all part of the game, I do it often. I never think of it as wasted time...trying to make pictures is never a waste of time.
Well. I restarted yesterday and have drawn in lines to show the line of eyes, nose, lips etc and to ensure they stay in line in two dimensions. So my basic drawing is now ready to start painting. I managed to stop him.looking up, that was due to too narrow a strip between top of snout and eyes. The curve and dimensions of the jaw are more accurate. I spent ages on the eyes but I'm not happy...i have to keep reminding myself they are supposed to look like eyes, not the photograph. I've still got the first one as a reference but it will never be fixed...good practice though and can be used to test colour mixes. D
Tessa No, but I'll start. D
Progress so far. It's a challenge...i keep thinking I need another colour pencil...then I manage to blend a few and it works. It's very enjoyable but I find it best to do little bits then walk away.
I really love the way these water colour pencils blend. A real joy to use and behold...these dark images do get through the pencils though... I think my favourite all time colour is indigo D
Showing page 1 of 2