Work in Progress.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I don't often post any WIP's, apart from when I contribute to the e-newsletter, but here goes. This will hopefully be my final entry to this year's TAPC Open competition, but that will depend on how it all pans out of course. This has been worked up using sketches from drawings made some time ago at the scene. It's a gorgeous tree-lined walkway, pedestrians only, and I thought that the composition had some potential, helped with a touch of artist's license in places. It's an oil on canvas board 50 x 60cm, and I gave it all a coating of neutral grey to give me some continuity running through the whole thing. Loosely drawn out with raw umber, first establishing the all-important eye-level and vanishing point. I'll perhaps post further progress during next week.

Edited
by alanbickley

It does look promising, I especially like the colours.
Keep the up-dates coming, Alan. Always interesting to see how other artists go about their work, especially 'if' corrections are required for the finished work.
Although landscape isn't my thing, I do enjoy the effort of others in this genre, and there's always something to be picked up by watching work in progress. What I'm seeing is a good solid foundation and it will be interesting to watch it's progress.
Just because no one comments for a while, young Alan, doesn't mean there's little interest: it may mean we're just waiting to see where you go from here. Personally, I find WIPs fascinating - there are usually so many directions in which they could go, and it's often a surprise to see where the artist finally takes them. A WIP can be an art lesson in itself - especially when an artist knows exactly what he's doing; as of course - you do. Which is not to say that you necessarily plot and plan every single brushstroke - I doubt that most painters do, and those that do may produce laboured and overly tight results. As one with a strong tendency to go 'tight', I do fight against it manfully; and find your work an inspiration.
Waiting for the next instalment, Alan, with great interest. Looking good so far and I'm also one of those who enjoys watching the progression, with all of the twists and turns. Bri
I think that most people like WIP's Alan and I certainly do - an awful lot can be learned by watching how other artists go about their work. The first thing that struck me about your painting was the perspective created by the buildings either side and the row of trees that lead you in to the picture, along with the human element provided by the small group of people - often landscapes can look less interesting without them. I find it a bit unusual how you are painting the sky in-between the tree branches, rather than painting the sky first, then having free reign with the branches. It will be interesting to see how this develops.